is this legal?

Our production manager came to me today asking me if we could make  a policy in our handbook that stated if an employee misses a scheduled work day..he/she is required to make up that day and will still be disciplined for missing their originally scheduled work day.  I let her know that I was unsure as to what we can and can't do regarding this and that I would check.  I also recommended that if people have poor attendance then maybe it's just time to think about replacing those with poor attendance.  I have been searching the Dept of Labor site and am not having much luck finding anything on this exact scenario...any suggestions?We are located in WI.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is perfectly legal.  It may create problems in the climate of your workforce, it may not pass muster with the people who adminsiter UI claims in your state, but it's legal on a federal level and almost certainly legal on a state level in WI.  My recommandation is to enforce your attendance policy instead.  If you don't have one, it's time to make one.