terminating employee

I had a full time employee. She kept making the same mistakes.  I wrote her up, coached her and changed things to help.  The mistakes continued.  The consequence of the warnings was to be pulled from shipping/receiving and put to part time due to having hire someone else to do the job.  After being put to part time she filed for unemployment and received it ( it is not coming from my account).  I offered her 34-30 hours per week but she would not take it due to losing unemployment benefits and having to refile if her hours went down.  She can work 4 hours per week and still get unemployment.  I want to terminate her.  How should I do this and will she be able to get unemployment from our account at this point?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • UI benefits will depend on the state.

Honestly she sounds like the type of employee that I would terminate and not care whether the employer's account got charged.  But I would appeal her claim. And let the state know the details.  Especially that she refused more hours.  That in itself could possibly make the claim denied.

But like I said, it will depend on the state. Some are more employee friendly while others are more employer friendly.  You might check to see if your state has an appeals manual online.  It can help you see how other claims were decided and when and if the employee got benefits.

• If you genuinely have 30-34 hours of work for her to do that she can do, offer her more hours and have the offer and the expected denial witnessed by another person.  Assuming she denies, call your state's UI administration unit and let them know that the person turned down work.

If you don't need the 4 hours she does do, or you need it to be better than she can perform, then pull the trigger and find someone who can do the job right and forget about the UI.  Keeping poor performers around is more expensive than the UI in the long run anyway.

• What this person is costing you in lost productivity and being a "morale killer" is a hell of a lot more that what you're going to be paying in unemployment insurance costs.  You need to eliminate this employee, with dignity and repect, of course.