Termination in FL

I need the assistance of those of you in FL.  A friend of the family called me yesterday to tell me he had been fired from his job in FL.  Evidently the story goes that he was accused of stealing something from his employer.   He was able to produce a receipt to show that the item in his possession was his own (the police were called and he was able to show the officer the receipt as well, to which they said there was no case).  The owner told him a couple of hours later that he was being fired because of all the controversy surrounding this theft.

It is my understanding that FL is a right to work state.  With that being said, this owner has fired him for something that he has proven he did not do.  Your thoughts?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • FL is an at-will state (which is what I think you meant since Right-to-work means that you can't be forced to join a union in order to work a certain job).  So what the owner did is not illegal. Possibly stupid, but not illegal.

I would tell you friend to start by filing for unemployment. Then I would get my resume out to update it and start looking for a new job. And thirdly, I would be thankful to be out of there before the owner did something really stupid.