End of Summer Blues

It seems like this week, with the end of summer coming and the long weekend over, our employees are a bit blue. Is this common? Any ides for sprucing things up?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's sort of the same at our company. Everyone hates to see the summer go.
  • With the daylight hours getting shorter and the kids going back to school it seems like the freedom of summer has passed.  People are a little down here also. 

• Personally, fall is my favorite time of year.  But I certainly understand the concept-- I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that since most employees take their vacation time in the summer, that means after Labor Day they may be working about 10 or more consecutive 5-day work weeks, until Thanksgiving in late November!  That is a sobering thought, isn't it?

I don't know what can really be done, but maybe something casual and unofficial that's just specific to your department---perhaps a pot luck lunch once a or twice a month for the fall months?

Or perhaps start a trend of inviting co-workers in your department go out after work every Thursday or Friday for a drink--something to look forward to that they enjoy and will break up the doldrums. 

• We give out coupons to a local car wash on the first day of winter.  We get a lot of snow and the roads get messy, so employees like to be able to get their cars cleaned for free.  It's not too expensive and it's been a big hit.  I don't like to start thinking about winter before the first frost, but thought I'd pass the idea along.