Handbooks and Benefit Info

Hi -- I'm working on updating our employee handbook and was wondering how the rest of you handle the benefits section.  I think I should just put in general info about the benefits offered without getting into specifics, but I don't want to mislead with partial information.  Should I just refer employees to benefit plan documents or put some info in about the benefits?  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you writing about healthcare benefits or all benefits?  Our handbook includes the basics for each benefit given. For health insurance we list the number of hours a week the employee must work before being eligible and how and when premiums are deducted (deducted each paycheck, deducted monthly,etc.).

All other benefits are listed (e.g., sick leave, bereavement, vacation time, jury duty, business travel, etc) and a short description the benefit is given.

• We have a benefit section in our personnel policy manual that states what benefits staff are eligible to receive.  It then refers the employee to the specific document for the details.  If we didn't do it this way we would be changing our personnel policies everytime there was a change to a benefit. 

• I think that it's ok to provide some general information,but it's important to make sure that it is consistent with official plan documents. A disclaimer directing employees to the SPD is also a good idea.
  • I agree...a general outline of what employees are entitled to for benefits should be included in the handbook, but the details of the plan should be left to the plan document.

• I have just completed updating our employee handbook, I added a section "SUMMARY OF BENEFITS" which gave a very brief overview of our benefit program.  Since benefits change often, I am making a separate "BENEFIT PROGRAM BOOKLET" which will give employees in-depth details on each beneft, complete with group numbers and carrier contact info.  This benefit booklet would get updated annually at open enrollment.  This will help prevent our employee hanbook with all policies from becoming outdated yearly. 

LisaL