cafeteria advertising products and services they sell through home
businesses.  One guy gives hot air balloon rides, one sells handcrafts,
etc.  Some of these entrepreneurs have also approached employees to
"let them know" about their businesses and some employees have
mentioned that they shouldn't have to listen to a sales pitch in the
workplace.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Start with a policy that HR has to approve anything posted on company bulletin boards or in the cafeteria.  In your company newsletter, you could have a classified section for all the goods and services employees offer outisde of work.
  • This drives me crazy! Especially when you feel like it might affect your working relationship. We have someone who is always truying to sell us these wooden toys that he makes. He comes right up to you in your office and shows you his homemade catalog - on about a weekly basis! People end up saying no to him week after week and he doesn't seem to get the picture. Thanks for the advice, we'll use it!
  • This drives me nuts, too. I think it's totally fine to post your flyer or leave a brochure around (in fact, it's nice to know if people are selling somethig you may want) but approaching people is just rude.

Another issue this bring up is your nonsolicitation policy, if you have one. You can't prohibit union solicitation or distribution if these activities are allowed for other purposes (except for onceo or twice a year for charity).

• This is always annoying. I think the weirdest fundraiser item anyone ever pitched to me were vidalia onions! The company I work at now has a non-solicitation policy which prohibits selling things/distributing literature during worktime at the work place.

• We allow employees to put non-business notices, advertise for-sale items, etc in break rooms only.  Non-employees cannot be advertised there (i.e. employee advertising a friend's business).  Desk-to-desk solicitation is strictly banned and enforced.  We're happy with the results and so are the employees - nobody really wants to be put on the spot by a co-worder.  But the policy gives those who have something to sell a place to advertise.
  • Do these nonsolicitation polices apply to things like selling items for children's schools or sports teams?
  • Our employees will put the box of candy in the break room with a payment jar 'on the honor system' or if it's pre-ordered, the order form gets put in the break room and people can sign up for what they want.   Not sure that would work everywhere but we've never had a problem.  We do not allow desk-to-desk solicitation even for children's fundraisers - those are actually the hardest for people to say 'no' to and really puts people on the spot.  To say nothing of lost productivity for the business.
  • If you are not a manager, but the person who is peddling is a manger, is there a polite way of telling him/ her that you're not interested? 

It's such an awkward situation!  I never know what to say and end up sitting there for 20 minutes listening to a sales pitch when I would rather be doing my work.