Iraq War and Politics

We have an employee who is very into politics and very vocal about his opposition to the war in Iraq. Another employee in the department has a relative in the army who is stationed in Bagdad. They both have signs in the work stations and argue. Other employees have complained. Anyone have suggestions on how we should handle this? We don't really have a policy that applies to this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • While I support an individual's right to express their opinion, if the expression is having a negative impact on work, or bothering other employees, the employer should have the right to limit such behavior. Even a general policy on professional behavior should be helpful in addressing the situation (respect for others, etc.). Do you have a policy like that?
  • When it comes to workplace conflicts--whether it's 2 employees arguing about opposing views on the Iraq war, opposing religious beliefs, or even over a sports rivalry (I've seen 'friendly' debates over Yankees vs. Red Sox boil over)--if it gets to the point where other employees have complained, it's gone too far.  Banning discussion about the war, politics, etc. would create a slippery slope, for sure, but unprofessional behavior can still be addressed. Both individuals should be told that the arguments need to stop because they are having a negative impact on co-workers. Put them on notice that further workplace disruptions will be dealt with with progressive discipline like any other unacceptable workplace behavior.

The signs in their work stations, I think, is much tricker. If you make them take those signs down, what "personal" items might next fall under scrutiny?   And what other items would need to be removed (in other workers' stations) in order to be fair to these 2 workers? 

I'd be interested to hear what other people think about what they do and don't allow workers to display in their cubicles/stations.

• I'd be concerned about the signs too...you don't want anything that negatively portrays veterans, for instance. That could be discriminatory, and lead to even more complaints.

If this "debate" is getting out of hand and becoming a distraction, I would address is with these employees as exactly that...behavior that is disrupting the workplace. A spat between two co-workers shouldn't disrupt everyone else.

• I agree with blakefan.  These people are not in their own personal setting, but in a professional office setting and as such should not be disruptive.  Perhaps a good talking to is in order with a hint to disciplinary action that could take place if the behavior does not cease.   
  • I agree with what everyone is saying regarding talking to the 2 participants in the argument--hopefully, if they're reasonable individuals, upon hearing that their arguments with each other (as opposed to either of their positions on the issue) are disrupting other workers and making them uncomfortable, in addition to (as ntk104 wrote) hinting that disciplinary action will be next if they don't heed your caution, they will likely stop the arguments.

Meanwhile, as to what JohnnyBravo said about the signs--I'd respectfully disagree. I think you can make a policy with a clear distinction about what types of items are and aren't allowed in an office cube or work space. Political or religious items that could potentially offend others and/or cause arguments, for example, should be prohibited.  I think you can make these distinctions and still allow people to post pictures of family members, Dilbert comic strips, sports team logos, or what have you. So, I don't think you're running a risk as long as you have a clear policy in writing. 

If you aren't clear about what is and isn't permissible (don't have a policy) that's when things will get confusing--and someone may accuse you may of singling them out by making them take down a sign opposing the Iraq war while you're letting someone else hang their Peyton Manning poster.