Democratic majority: Will it affect unionized workplaces?

I was wondering after watching the news programs this weekend if the Democratic majority in Congress will have any effect on unionized workplaces and contract negotiations. 

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I read in the newspapers that the new Congress will be considering a bipartisan bill called the Employee Free Choice Act that would make it easier for workers to unionize.   Apparently, the new law would let employees authorize a union as their bargaining representative via a method called card check, where a majority of workers' signatures could make representation official, as opposed to casting secret ballots.  The experts say this bill could lead to a wave of unionization and that employers should be concerned...  

• Hi Iris:

From what I know, the Employee Free Choice Act will also  provide for mediation and arbitration during first-contract disputes. Under the Act, either employers or employees may request mediation of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) if no agreement on a first contract has been reached after 90 days of bargaining. If the FMCS is unable to bring the parties to agreement after 30 days of mediation, the dispute must be referred to binding arbitration.

• I actually read an article in the New York Times this week that the Employee Free Choice Act was advanced by the House Education and Labor Ciommittee.  Vice President Cheney, however has threatened a presidential veto if the bill is passed.