Company Calendar

We utilize an electronic company calendar as well as a physical calendar. We list staff who are traveling or at conferences. We also list people who are out ill. A request ahas been made that when a person is out ill that these remarks are not included on the calendar. This person just wants it on the calendar that they are out of hte office and unavailable.

We are a small company of less than 25 people. Management does not want to change from having "Ill" on the calendar. Are we in violation of HIPPA? I would welcome suggestions on how to handle this problem.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You are definitely violating employee privacy by telling others why they are out. Even when we have seriously ill employees (where everyone knows and is concerned), or employees out for other personal reasons, we do not tell our other employees why he/she is out without the sick employee's express permission. We simply say they are out.
  • I agree with Nae. It is clearly a violation of the employees' privacy (although it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with HIPAA) and I would just put that they are out of the office when someone is sick or out for another personal reason.
  • Ditto the others. Just say "off" or "out" .
  • Yep, same here. The employee can tell anyone they want just exactly why they are out, but they will not hear it from "the company."
  • [quote=hazbol;725383]We utilize an electronic company calendar as well as a physical calendar. We list staff who are traveling or at conferences. We also list people who are out ill. A request ahas been made that when a person is out ill that these remarks are not included on the calendar. This person just wants it on the calendar that they are out of hte office and unavailable.

We are a small company of less than 25 people. Management does not want to change from having "Ill" on the calendar. Are we in violation of HIPPA? I would welcome suggestions on how to handle this problem.[/quote]

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

Sharon
  • Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I have not been successful convincing my boss but will keep trying.
  • I suggest you call the Wage and Hour Division in your state and anonymously pose the
    question to them. They will respond and say "No, you cannot do that". Then you can
    go back to your management and let them know you posed the question ANONYMOUSLY
    to the Wage and Hour people and they agreed with you and say not to do it.
    You can take the same approach and ask your labor attorney the question.
    Do this enough times and maybe they will begin to listen to what you tell them.
    Ah, life in HR - don't you love it?