E-mail return receipts

I email documentation we are required to distribute, like 403b Fee Disclosure notices, Summary Plan Documents and Updates, Summary Annual reports for 403b plan, etc. My understanding is that this is permissible if everyone at the company has access to a computer as part of their job, which they do. I send these things "return receipt" and save the electronic notifications of the person opening the email, in a folder in my email account.

So, what do I do if after a period of time the person hasn't opened their email? Send a follow-up, with maybe a note that it's on the internal web site? Make a copy and put in their mailbox? Send to their home address?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would send a follow-up e-mail, and then if they still didn't open it I would mail a copy to them at their personal mailing address.
  • I agree with CNGHR, but would also add to the home mailing a signature required slip or send it certified so you have a record of receipt
  • I think I might also email the employee's supervisor and ask if there is a problem with the employee's email account. Do you have the right email address? Does the employee have access? You are only asking because you have not received the appropriate response and if there is something wrong with your system you need to know.

You do need to know, but the supervisor also needs to know if their employee is not opening their emails. Why bother to have email for employees if they do not open them? It is possible the employee has not been trained properly on their email, or have forgotten that they even have it.

In addition, if this is the way your company communicates with employees then an employee not opening their emails is an issue. You shouldn't have to mail to their home address unless there is a good reason for them not opening their emails.

Good luck!

Nae
  • @Nae: we are small enough that I know the email address is correct -- there is a format for each email address, and they are set up by our IS Department. I suppose I could ask our IS department to check to make sure it is working, but there are enough of them -- 20 or so -- that I'm willing to bet that isn't the case. We are all active email users so someone would have noticed.

I am advised that we just have to show that we sent them, not that they were received, so I would probably not opt for the extra labor and expense required to send certified return receipt, proof of mailing, etc. I will probably mail them to their home addresses, however.

But first I think I'll follow cnghr's advice to send a "second attempt for delivery" email. I'm really surprised at the number and the identity of those who haven't opened their emails and wonder if they just got overlooked. I do know that 2 or 3 are chronic email ignorers, and I'll have to step up my actions (don't ask me what that means) on those. Maybe hand delivery with a bow and a candy bar?

Thanks all for your responses.
  • One other alternative I use is to attach them or hand them out with paychecks. I make a spreadsheet with the names and the pay period they where attached to. If they cashed their check then I figure they recieved the info and if I hand deliver it I know they recieved it.
  • [QUOTE=briansch1;724772]One other alternative I use is to attach them or hand them out with paychecks. I make a spreadsheet with the names and the pay period they where attached to. If they cashed their check then I figure they recieved the info and if I hand deliver it I know they recieved it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,Briansch1. All our checks are direct deposited (except 1 or 2) and we've gone paperless -- they can look up their stubs on our payroll system.