No Expectation of Privacy at Work?

This maybe belongs in the social media topic but I'll start out here.

Our IS department has recently published a policy on workplace privacy which mostly has to do with our policy on monitoring of computers. They included a phrase I have been hearing for years, "employee has no expectation of privacy..." I understand this is a common phrase and I understand what it means, but I also understand the employees who respond "What? Whaddyamean?" . Has anyone found a way to get around this awkward phrasing but maintain the integrity of the concept? Or is there a reason why we shouldn't mess with it (the specific phrase)?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ours is a bit more direct:

[COLOR=black][FONT=Arial]THERE IS NO RIGHT TO PRIVACY IN ANY MATTER CREATED, RECEIVED, SENT OR STORED ON COMPANY EQUIPMENT OR UTILIZING COMPANY TECHNOLOGY. Employees have no right to notice as to any search, monitoring or review of information on company equipment. Passwords used in conjunction with hardware, software, Email, voice mail or Internet access will not give the user any right to privacy. Unauthorized or secret passwords cannot be used and all passwords must be shared with management. Violation of this provision will subject the user to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.[/FONT][/COLOR]
  • or...
    The bank’s computer systems are to be used for the bank’s business only, not for personal use. Depending upon your job duties, you may be assigned user-codes and/or passwords. These codes and passwords are extremely confidential and must be keep secret. Any work produced on the bank’s system is the property of the bank, and is accessible to management and will be monitored.

Employees may not take or send any information or software off the bank’s systems without the written permission of the Network Administrator(s). Likewise, employees may not put information or software from an outside source onto the bank’s systems without the written permission of the Network Administrator(s). Furthermore, employees may not remove any bank hardware or software, may not copy software or files owned by the bank and may not alter software. Employees must refer all computer related purchases to the Network Administrator(s).

Employees may not access or use the Internet unless its use is designated as part of their job duty, and if so, will only use the Internet for the bank’s business.
  • Here's ours:

"Employees of the company are permitted to use the company's equipment for occasional, non-company purposes with permission from their direct supervisors. Nevertheless, an employee has no right of privacy regarding any information or files maintained in or on company property or transmitted or stored through the company's computer systems, voice mail, or e-mail system, or other technical resources. Workplace monitoring may be conducted by the company to ensure quality control, employee safety, security, and customer satisfaction. Because the company is sensitive to the legitimate privacy rights of employees, every effort will be made to guarantee that workplace monitoring is done in an ethical and respectful manner."
  • Thanks all, these comments are helpful.
  • I personally prefer to keep the focus on the fact that all data, conversations, files, emails, etc performed on company time, on company equipment, are the property of The Company, and that as such, we have a right to monitor all goings-on, within the guidelines set out by state law. That way you don't have to say outright that they have no expectation of privacy, but it's definitely implied.