Medical Documents HIPAA - Scan/Email

Are there HIPAA guidelines on scanning/emailing medical documents?

Do you have to centralize all medical documents for privacy reasons and then let the location manager know the basic information for example: employee X has a 20 lb work restriction for the next 4 weeks. OR can this type of information go to the supervisor first and then sent to HR central?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote=dharoldson;723852]Are there HIPAA guidelines on scanning/emailing medical documents?

Do you have to centralize all medical documents for privacy reasons and then let the location manager know the basic information for example: employee X has a 20 lb work restriction for the next 4 weeks. OR can this type of information go to the supervisor first and then sent to HR central?[/quote]

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

In response to your question, if it were up to me, I'd centralize all employee records that contain medical information and only share with supervisors the least they need to know.

Anyone have insight on this?

Sharon
  • There are HIPAA guidelines that apply when you scan/email protected information. It has to meet a certain level of security. The level is not exactly clear in the regs, but most agree that you should have some sort of secure system in place before you email protected information.

That issue is separate from whether or not you should share this information with supervisors. In that sense, the waters really become muddy. HIPAA does not apply in some work situations.

I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. We keep all medical records in one location away from other employee files. Supervisors are told only what they need to know to protect the employee and allow for efficient planning and supervision. In other words, what Sharon said.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
  • Welcome to the Forum! We handle the same way Nae does.