Recognized vs. Observed Holidays

Our employee handbook lists a number of holidays that are recognized and if the holiday falls on a weekend we observe the preceding or following day for Office and Salaried/ Exempt staff. Recently two hourly office staff employees worked on the observed holidays and not the actual holiday, they expected holiday pay at time and a half for working the observed day?? I say they only get time and a half per the handbook if they work the ACTUAL holiday! Any thoughts or has anyone run into this issue?:help:

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your first post - congrats and welcome!

I'm think I would need a little more information. Are you are referring to a situation like this? "Christmas fell on a Sunday so the company observed a Christmas holiday on Monday. Employees in question worked Sunday and now are asking for time and a half."

What does your employee handbook state about receiving holiday pay?

Also, is your business normally open on Sundays?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but I want to make sure I understand correctly!
  • Yes, we need more information. Are you saying they had Sunday (Christmas) off, but had to work Monday?

We have always considered that whenever the holiday falls, or whenever we observe it, if the employees don't actually get an extra day off they will get holiday pay. For us that is usually time and a half, but for others it could be double time or even more.

Oh, and Welcome!

:welcome: