Hiring Hispanics

I think this is probably a "preference" rather than a law, but I said I would contact you. Our receptionist wants to know if she can ask our Hispanic applicants to speak English when they are in the reception room waiting to be interviewed. I think that at most she can ask them to be quite since they are disturbing her in answering the phones and conducting business, but I don't know that they can be forced to speak English in that area. Please advise!:help:

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wouldn't go down that road. If you are concerned about what they are saying to each other, perhaps separating them would be the best bet.
  • [quote=Still Need Coffee;723169]I wouldn't go down that road. If you are concerned about what they are saying to each other, perhaps separating them would be the best bet.[/quote]

Even that scares me. Would you separate English speaking applicants who were whispering? Perhaps the best thing would be to offer to pay for a conversational Spanish course for your receptionist. She would be more comfortable with Spanish speaking applicants and maybe you would get a few loyal potential long term employees who felt comfortable working at a company that had people who cared enough to communicate with them in their language.
  • Agree with Joannie. Plus, if courts have ruled against requiring English only for employees unless there is a specific business purpose, then it is not a far reach to include applicants.
  • [quote=jbroussard;723168]I think this is probably a "preference" rather than a law, but I said I would contact you. Our receptionist wants to know if she can ask our Hispanic applicants to speak English when they are in the reception room waiting to be interviewed. I think that at most she can ask them to be quite since they are disturbing her in answering the phones and conducting business, but I don't know that they can be forced to speak English in that area. Please advise!:-/[/quote]

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

Sharon

PS: I agree with Joannie
  • Tell your receptionist that if she thinks this is really a problem, you're going to have to replace her with someone who speaks/understands Spanish. I bet it becomes a lot less troublesome then. :)