yet another dress code issue

First of all, we do not have a dress code.

A valued member of my staff dresses provocatively from time to time, and I'm struggling with if/how to raise the issue. She is in a high visibility position in that she meets with employees continually on benefits and payroll matters.

This is fairly recent, and coincides with her having lost a good deal of weight in the last year (on purpose).

She now wears, occasionally, dresses that are so short that when she sits they ride well up her thighs. Today she has on a dress that is so low cut that cleavage and bra are fully visible.

I don't have a clue as to how to broach the topic. i know she'll be embarrassed if I do. In addition, I am guessing that in part she is wearing what she has in the closet; she is recently divorced, with two young children and I know she doesn't have a lot of extra money to spend on her own wardrobe.

Should I just let it go? Is there a way to address this that isn't hurtful? My concern is that it doesn't project a professional image for our department.

She is one of two in the department (besides me) and both folks, during hot weather, occasionally wear Daisy Duke type short-shorts. Maybe there is a way to combine the message and deliver to both?

Help!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Discussions like these are always difficult, and it is extremely important to preserve both sides of the work relationship. First, I would of course recommend you implement a dress code. Or if a dress code really doesn't mesh with your company's culture, perhaps expand your statement on employee professionalism/code of conduct/etc. Second, I would speak to her alone, and let her know that while you're very proud of her for her weight loss and all she's juggling at the moment, perhaps she is unaware that some of her wardrobe choices appear unprofessional, and that due to the nature of her position, it is important that she lead the example when it comes to workplace conduct. Also add some tidbits about how you'd hate for her to be judged based on her appearance, and instead, wish for her to be judged based on her performance without this sort of distraction. Perhaps adding a sweater or leggings to her existing outfits would make them more work appropriate?

Keep the emphasis on job performance, and how clothing of this sort may be detrimental to how she's perceived at the company. Above all, be kind. As hard as this conversation is for you, it's even harder for her.
  • I think NeedCoffee's response is excellent and I would second everything she has said.

All I would add is that you definitely want to include words like "sometimes" and "occassionally" and avoid generalizations or "always".

Yes these are difficult conversations but you can still try to keep things positive. Like Coffee said, tell her she looks amazing but its not really the type of appearance you want in the workplace or to represent your company.

You have a vested interest in not allowing a provocatively dressed employee interacting with your clients and co-workers. It can lead to other HR issues that are also extremely uncomfortable to deal with. I suggest you deal with this now and be positive but firm.
  • It would be easier for me to offer sage advice if you were to send some pictures of the offender.

Thanks!
  • Thanks Coffee and Paul, your comments are very helpful.