Supervisors In the Know

A couple of questions for HR professionals:

What are the top three things that you think every supervisor should know about HR and employment law?

What are the three things that your supervisors just can't seem to get about HR and employment law?

Sharon

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • 3 things supervisors should know:

1.) Treat employees fairly, without bias, and all while keeping your 'Politically Correct' hat on.

2.) Make sure you have a witness when having the 'big discussions.'

3.) Complete all your training and when in doubt, talk to HR first. Getting sued is easy. and the law is constantly changing.

3 things supervisors can't seem to get:

1.) I only have one really. Evaluations are for evaluating employees. This is so you can see the strenths and weaknesses of your employees and help them all to improve their lot and improve the organization. Giving everyone top marks and an equal raise is not evaluting employees.
  • I agree with Nae on the 1st three things. Unfortunately, those are also the three things they can't get right.
  • The top three things supervisors should know:
    1. Document, document, document, and in that documentation, be factual, not judgmental!
    2. Treat everyone fairly based on their work and their actions. In fact, treat everyone in the same manner in which you'd like your own mother to be treated.
    3. The people in HR do things (or not do things), say things, or create things, it's not to mess with your day - we do things to keep the company out of trouble and make the best environment possible for the employees, including you. It's not personal, it's business, and you need to get over yourself. (Can you tell I'm having issues with this today?)

Top three things that your supervisors just can't seem to get about HR and employment law:
    1. Absences/Medical Info - when do you need to notify HR? (this would also fall under FMLA, ADA, Work Comp)
    2. What constitues disparate treatment? (When is it OK to treat 2 employees in different ways, and when is doing so considered discrimination?)
    3. Document, document, document!!!!
  • 3 things supervisors should know:

1) Fill out ALL new hire paperwork IN FULL
    2) Document, document, document!
    3) Don't turn a blind eye to misbehavior

3 things supervisors can't seem to get right:

1) Fill out new hire paperwork IN FULL and pay attention! Especially the I-9. This employee has two social security numbers?!?! Really?!?!?
    2) Document, document, document!
    3) FMLA
  • 1. We are here to help you.
    2. Treat everyone equally.
    3. Be professional at all times.

What I wish they knew.

1. Being supervisor doesn't mean you are now in a position to hire your friends and family.
    2. Providing employment is based on the needs of the company, not the rehabilitative needs of the applicant.
    3. Treat everyone equally.