Disciplinary Suspensions

Is there any rule that would limit the number of days you could suspend a non-exempt employee for serious disciplinary reasons? We normally limit suspensions to five days or less, but a manager want to do a two week suspension.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not to my knowledge but I generally feel if it's bad enough to warrent that, ya oughta fire them
  • Welcome to the forum, bobdil!

Like sonny said, I'm not aware of anything that restricts the # of days you can suspend someone, so I would look at your precedents and the severity of the issue. Of course, you would also want to consult any CBAs or other contracts as well. Sonny has a good point when he said if the did something so bad it warrants a 2-week suspension, why not fire them? I think a 2 week suspension is pretty hefty.
  • Only time we have suspended someone for any length of time was when the ee had a date in court. They were suspended until the outcome of same. For basic disciplinary issues we simply follow our discipline process. The last step is a day off with pay for the ee to realize how serious the situation is and to decide if they wish to continue working here or not.