Obliged to Advertise?

we have hours available to be filled (part-time) and I plan to post internally. I have an external candidate in mind who has interviewed in the past six months. Am I obliged to advertise this externally? Or can I just call the candidate and see if she is available?

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to the forum!

This is not federally mandated, but you might have it in a state law or union agreement. It also may already be a part of your policies or past best practices. (If you have a history of advertising, but don't do it on this occasion you can expect some unhappiness from your employees.)

If none of these facts prevent you from going back to a prior candidate, then feel free to do so. It will certainly save your company time and money.

Good luck!

Nae
  • I probably would advertise. . maybe not real broadly but I would rather be safe than sorry. Word gets out and another good candidate says "She called her, why not me?" I do work for a municipality and we tend to be more cautious. .
  • I agree with Sonny. I strongly encourage managers to advertise all openings. Pre-selection of candidates, whether illegal or not, creates hard feelings.
  • I'll disagree. You already plan to post internally, and that's the only constituency I'd give a second thought to. If you're entirely satisfied with the external candidate you've already interviewed, why go to the extra expense and delay of advertising again?
  • No expense. . we would post on our web page, government TV channel and BB for 5 days which is what we do internally. . .

As I said, in our public, government world I do not need someone accusing of us of not opening the position to ALL who might be qualified. As I alluded to previously, it could also be construed as favoritism, why not call other good previously interviewed and qualified candidates. .
  • Same here on the expense -- we would use our website and the DOL local office. No cost for either. Happy Friday!