Good HR Training for Employees?

Hi there,
I am an attorney in Seattle and I'm looking to find some good HR (general) training for some of my clients. They own businesses that have HR staff but they aren't very well trained. On-line, I see a lot of sort of "traveling roadshow" type trainings through "train up", Career Track, Fred Pryor, etc...

Can anyone speak about how these seminars are? Also, if there are any you know of that are REALLY good, please let me know! My clients are looking for something local (Seattle-Tacoma) and in person.

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I live in a much smaller city, and I know of at least 2 consultants right of the top of my head who live and work locally. I am sure Seattle has the same. I met my local consultants through the local SHRM chapter. I recommend you contact your local chapter and see if they have any consultants in the organization.
  • I have attended the traveling type of seminars over the years, presented by various providers including Fred Pryor/Career Track.

Some of the training has been much more basic than others, but I've taken away useful information from every one I've attended. The seminars I've gone to have always been well-attended and well-presented.

I would suggest that you or your clients keep an eye out for one they might like to try. I think that's the only way to find out if they serve the purpose they are looking for. I noticed that Career Track is offering an "Essentials of HR Law" seminar this month in Seattle. That's one that I would attend if I had the time and may look for to see if it's offered again at a future date because it sounds like a good basic class and also good continuing education for someone like me who's been in this field for a long time.
  • My experiences with Career Track and Fred Pryor seminars is that they are geared towards entry level employees. If that is where your clients are starting, they are a good beginners choice. Perhaps it is the seminar itself, as cnghr has had a better experience.

If you need more, and don't want to go via a consultant who either puts on classes for several clients or can tend to your cleint's specific needs, there are other options.

I sometimes attend an employment law seminar put on by the local office of a national employment law firm. I also go to the state legislative SHRM conference. I hear the national legislative SHRM conference is good, but I have never been.

I hope these options are helpful. Good luck!

Nae
  • In house, I teach our supervisors and managers a basics of employment law course, which I think should be the first training area in terms of priority. Second on my list would be performance management, and third would be managing conflict.

Heck, I'll do the training for you if the clients want to fly me out to Seattle!
  • [quote=Jenny Faubion;721874]Hi there,
    I am an attorney in Seattle and I'm looking to find some good HR (general) training for some of my clients. They own businesses that have HR staff but they aren't very well trained. On-line, I see a lot of sort of "traveling roadshow" type trainings through "train up", Career Track, Fred Pryor, etc...

Can anyone speak about how these seminars are? Also, if there are any you know of that are REALLY good, please let me know! My clients are looking for something local (Seattle-Tacoma) and in person.

Thank you for your help![/quote]

Jenny,

I came into HR with years of management experience but nothing specific to HR other than the kind of training large corporations require on topics like harassment and discrimination. I had to learn everything HR fast so I attended lots of live seminars and did learn a lot, but it took a while to do so because of the way the seminars are scheduled - few and far between.

At the time, I didn't know about websites like HRHero.com and relied on government sites from the DOL, EEOC, etc. I learned from them and at no cost except for the hours upon hours of time it took to wade through them usually looking for an answer to a simple question.

If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I do now, I'd go with our own HRLaws.com, a subscription site that provides a wealth of information about everything HR. In addition to electronic versions of HR manuals like [I]50 Laws in 50 States[/I], the [I]ADA Compliance Manual[/I], the [I]FMLA Compliance Manual[/I], and the [I]Guide to Employment Law[/I], the site offers audio conferences that cover just about every HR topic you can think of.

It also offers a searchable database of employment related laws from all 50 states along with the federal laws and regulations. There is much more included with a subscription but I'll stop the commercial now and just tell you it's a great site and if you'd like to learn more about it just go to [URL="http://www.hrlaws.com"]www.hrlaws.com[/URL] where you can sign-up for a free two week trial subscription.

Sharon

PS: I noticed this is your first post - Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

PPS: HR Hero offers REALLY good seminars so be sure to check them out at [URL]http://store.hrhero.com/[/URL] Also, check out Training Today, another M. Lee Smith site, at [URL="http://www.trainingtoday.com"]www.trainingtoday.com[/URL].