It's beginning to look a lot like...

Groundhogs day? Just checking in to see if Nae and Frank and others are in today. The weather here in the mid-west is something else today. Here in Central MO it is snowing at the rate of 2-3 inches per hour. Predications are 10 - 12 inches by noon and 20 - 24 inches by 6:00 pm. Most everything is closed today and tomorrow. We, Banking, only opened two branches today and will close at noon and we too will be closed tomorrow. The University of Missouri announced they are closed today, only second time in some 25 years for MU to close. Temp. tomorrow night is expected to be 20 below. Global warming my ----- goodness! Trust eveyone is safe and warm these next few days.

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here in Middle Tennessee it's 50-60 degrees and cloudy, gloomy, dreary, dingy, grim, gray, dull, lackluster, bare tree limbed, and not even one sign of an early spring. But, thankfully, no snow, so far.

Sharon

::pb&J::
  • Here it's 40 degrees, raining, and very windy, and if groundhogs feel like my dog did on her morning walk today, they wouldn't even want to poke their head out of the ground, much less check for their shadow. But at least it's rain and not snow...as my husband always says, "you don't have to shovel rain"!
  • It's 15 degrees and snowing heavily in the Boston area. We're expecting another 12-20 inches by end of day tomorrow (on top of the 2 feet we arleady have) with dangerous icing. I'm hoping I can convince the boss to close tomorrow. Will be the first time in our history, but the last storm we had 9 of 70 people come to work and everyone else got charged PTO time. Doesn't seem right, especially because some people can work from home (or claim they are) and others can't.
  • 40 degrees, sunny, not a cloud in the sky and slightly windy.
    Where is our rain? I can't live in the Northwest without rain.
  • I'm actually getting quite frustrated with this...we're forecasted for 22+ inches of snow, and waves from Lake Michigan reaching about 30 ft and flooding close roadways....but right now? NADA!!! I want my snow day! Of course, we don't get snow days in Chicago - the last time the school system closed for snow, it was 1999 - and our offices don't close unless a state of emergency is declared. I guess that's the downside to public transit....no excuse not to come to work. :cry:
  • Some of our schools close at just the mention of snow.
  • [quote=plynnl;721534]Some of our schools close at just the mention of snow.[/quote]

The primary NBC t.v. channel that we watch here is from Seattle and it always cracks me up when, on the 10 p.m. news, they start telling which schools will be closed or starting late the next day because there's snow in the forecast....never mind that not even one flake has fallen yet.

We don't get much snow here but it takes an awful lot for them to cancel school because of snow, and I don't know what it would take for our offices to be closed because of snow. Those of us who live close to the office (I'm about two miles away) would probably be expected to walk to work and keep things going, even if the roads weren't passable.
  • We're open Dutch, although many of our competitors are not. We're closing at 3, though. That's happened only once before in the past five years.
  • [quote=cnghr;721536]The primary NBC t.v. channel that we watch here is from Seattle and it always cracks me up when, on the 10 p.m. news, they start telling which schools will be closed or starting late the next day because there's snow in the forecast....never mind that not even one flake has fallen yet.

We don't get much snow here but it takes an awful lot for them to cancel school because of snow, and I don't know what it would take for our offices to be closed because of snow. Those of us who live close to the office (I'm about two miles away) would probably be expected to walk to work and keep things going, even if the roads weren't passable.[/quote]

That happens in southern Washington also. A school district will close the night before a projected snow fall and when not a single flake hits justify by saying that they err on the side of caution. A bit embarrassing.
  • Sunny again today. What is this strange weather?

Is everybody from Colorado to the east coast snowed under?
  • Sunny and cold today in Middle Tennessee.

Rumor has it the groundhog did not see his shadow so we'll have an early spring.

Woo-Hoo!!

\:D/
  • A little help please, dear Forumites. Because of the snow/ice/winter yuck I've pulled together some past Hero Line articles that might be helpful to employers caught in this mess. Here's a link [url]http://blogs.hrhero.com/hrnews/2011/02/02/winter-weather-wreaking-havoc-on-employers[/url]

I've included articles on wage and hour and attendance issues bad weather often causes, travel time (for those who might have employees who are traveling) and disaster planning. What other employment law related issues do you have to deal with when the weather makes is difficult for employees to get to work or effects your business operations?
  • We are back in the saddle today - we were open Tuesday morning but closed at 10:00 a.m. and we were closed all day Wednesday. Our "old time-ers" cannot remember the bank ever being closed for so long due to weather. It is sunny here in Central Missouri today - the temp. is -4. We ended up getting from 12 - 20 inches of snow from one community to the next. This part of the country is just not equipped to handle so much snow. Now the question is what do they do with all the tons of snow piled several feet high that have been pushed off the main roads? Come on Spring...
  • We are doing a little better here in Kansas. We only got 9.1 inches in Topeka. It seemed more though since we still had so much on the ground from the 8.7 we got in the last snow storm. This makes 3 since Jan 10th, with a total of around 26 inches (more than our [U]annual[/U] average).

It's warmer too. I was out a few minutes ago and with the sun shining it had warmed up all the way to -1. The way it is going, we are sure to reach zero soon. ::pb&J::
  • I don't know or remember when I have ever been in negative temperatures before. That is COLD!
    [IMG]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_26.gif[/IMG]
  • I'm not sure what our official snowfall totals were (last I heard was 18 inches), but I had 6-foot-tall snow drifts on my porch. It was crazy! I managed to make it into the office for a bit yesterday thanks to public transit, but it was a ghost town. Chicago definitely was prepared, though - I have to say I am amazed! Aside from some cars that are still stranded by Lake Michigan, the response was quick, major roads were cleared, and we didn't lose power. Way to go, city services!
  • 6-feet?!!!!! We had snow higher on the steps leading up to our porch than on the porch itself, snow between the storm door and the front door, snow in the garage next to the back door (it was closed), but nothing like a 6 ft drift. The craziest thing I saw was my hubby's car. There was no snow on the sides or the top, but the snow on the hood was almost level from the top of the front window to the grill.
  • Nae - how is Kansas? We are getting snow again this morning! Most of it is falling south of I-70. 6-8 inches in Southern, MO and .5 - 1 inch here. Traffic is a mess this morning - I had to get out of the way of two spin outs while taking the family to school. However, they are still saying in the mid 40's to low 50's by Sunday. Come on Spring!
  • It's NOT snowing in Mass today, which has become a newsworthy event. It's been snowing some here almost every day. There is snow everywhere and no place to put it in this congested part of the country. Driving around the city streets is like driving through snow tunnels it is piled so high, visibility is terrible. We can't dump it in the ocean, so they truck it out, but the cities have been very slow to clean up because of budget concerns. Getting around is difficult; parking is impossible. I'm a die-hard New Englander, but I'll be happy to see spring this year.
  • Dutch, about 50 miles southeast of us they got a foot and a half last night. We got around 4-5 inches. I had driven to KC to see a niece who was there on business (hadn't seen her for 8-10 years), and the 90 minute drive home was interesting to say the least. Not bad near KC, but east of Lawrence it was a bit tense. For several miles we were going about 30 in a 70 zone, and still saw several cars off the road in ditches.
    I feel bad for those in Emporia, but am glad we weren't hit as hard.

Our SHRM state council is having a Law and Legislative conference this week. I am in charge of facilities and registration. It will be interesting to see who actually comes. They might. We've got predictions of near 50 for Friday. :)