Sales Positions and Time Off

I have been asked by my employer to draft a policy covering Salaried sales positions and how they may use time off. My problem is this: I have 2 sales positions which I would say are "inside" sales positions, they travel occasionally (maybe 1 time a month for a few days which may include a weekend) but the majority of time they work from our office. Then, I have 1 salesperson who I would call an "outside" salesperson and is on the road for the majority of the year and for several weeks at a time. I want to be able to let my "outside" rep take a few days off when he returns to take care of personal business, relax, etc. However, my inside salesperson's will then think they get to take off for 2 or 3 days after a sales trip too. How have any of you dealt with this in policy and/or practice?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It appears as though their duties are different. Do they have different titles and/or job descriptions? They should, and if so, you can base your policy on job positions. Then if you inside sales staff become outside sales staff they will know that they can expect the same benefits as the current outside sales staff does.
  • You may have a bigger issue. Why are your inside sales staff exempt? (Maybe it's appropriate, but often it's not - which is why this is a major red flag for FLSA investigations.)
  • One of the inside positions is the Sales Manager. The other is a Salesperson. They both meet the exemption qualifications accordng to DOL for exempt status, in my opinion. Frank, assuming that they meet the exempt qualification, what advice do you have?
    Also, I'm still waiting for Paul in Cannon Beach, needcoffee, ritanzz and stilldazed's input :-)
  • I agree with Nae - if their duties are different, you'd expect to have differing policies concerning their work. My advice would be to have things in writing, and have a supervisor discuss those policies with each sales employee.
  • I also agree if their duties and responsibilities are different you should draft different policies. A person who is traveling the majority of the year for weeks at a time obviously needs more time off for personal needs and relaxation. I would see it as compensation for the many evenings and weekends this person may not be actually working, but is not home engaging in the activities we all do with our non-work time. Is he expected to take vacation to do his laundry or mow the lawn?
  • I agree with the previous comments that the different positions are deserving of different job descriptions and time off allowances. The difference is, they're professional enough to do it right, while I would just probably tell the two inside guys it's none of their business how or when another employee gets time off.

How does their direct supervisor feel about the time off situation? If he/she thinks they should all be treated the same, you're about to embark on an uphill journey.
  • I suppose if you want to be fair you could draft a policy that awards additional time off based on some calculation.

Ex. 1 extra day off for every 10 days on the road.

The inside sales people aren't gone enough to qualify and the outside sales person gets some extra time off without it appearing to be favoritism.

It might even be legal.
  • I just have to ask....what's the story behind the "Ultra Cool Bass Player" name? We often talked about getting together a HRhero band....wasn't Frank the pantsless trombonist or something? My memory doesn't work so well these days...
  • I don't remember all the details either. Maybe we should start a new band. I'll play the kazoo.
  • Haha! Well, I was gonna call myself the "Non-serious Member" but SOMEBODY already claimed that name. My screen name of OKBassman is two-fold: 1. I live in Oklahoma and 2. I'm an average musician, not great, not terrible, just "OK". I play the bass in church on Sunday and they put up with me and I have a lot of fun doing it. My "Ultra Cool Bass player" is just a little humor on my part, I'm not that cool but I figure if I keep telling people that eventually someone will believe me! Paul, yes, I ABSOLUTELY want advice from you all! If ACU Frank and NaeNae hadn't responded so fast, I would have had them on my advice list, how can you turn down HR advice from a shocking pink member and someone who goes pantsless? I'm in for the band, just let me know when practice is. ;-)
  • We do not treat the inside sales differently than the outside sales. Each does have a different job description. Basically, you have what I call the honor system. If they need to take the time for personal business then so be it. We carefully monitor the sales numbers to ensure they are reaching their goals.

If they are performing well, what's the problem? We do not give additional personal days or vacation days because they are not home on weekends or evenings. I guess it goes with the territory.