Municipal exempt non exempt

We have always had very few exempt positions.
In our public works department, we have sub divisions ie solid waste, streets, grounds
Two supervisors of divisions retired and were not replaced. Two others picked up their duties and were promoted to Manager. They have 10-15 people under them .
TPTB are arguing to make the exempt, based on title (I have told them that is not the deal)Frankly, I think they qualified for exempt as supervisors based on duties but we have always erred to the ee and allowed them to be non exempt.
Promoted ee's are now unhappy at prospect of becoming exempt b/c they will lose LARGE amounts of OT.
Life not being fair aside, am I missing anything here?
I think they would argue they do some (minimal) hands on in a crunch, in the field, subject to call back etc.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Generally speaking, there should be some advantages to being exempt, as part of the trade-off. They're giving up OT... are they gaining flexibility in their hours, for example? If not, then you may be okay within the law but you're laying the groundwork for a system in which no one ever wants to move up the ladder.
  • Sure they get more flexibilty but that is not money in the bank which has become the expectation. Management issue in my opinion. .

Good point about it being a deterant (sp) to promotion.
  • Is the overtime pay a definite/guarantee every week as an hourly employee or is it only when necessary? Would their hourly rate of pay simply be adjusted to the same equivalent salary rate (such as $15 an hr X 40 hrs = $600 salary) or would they receive an increase in pay for accepting additional duties. I do not recall every “promoting” anyone to management/exempt from non-exempt when they did not receive an increase in pay. If the overtime dollars are significant, I can certainly see the problem you have.
  • As a supervisor it was "as needed". When they were promoted, they did recieve a nice increase HOWEVER it still wasn't as much as they had been pulling on OT. None of this, of course was brought to my attention until after they were promoted and became upset at the prospective of losing the OT.

It has long been a peeve of mind that ee's come to count on OT when in fact they should live their lives and budgets as if they didn't get it and when they do count it as icing on the cake.
  • Even if you do live within your budget for 'regular' hours, if you are used to getting that icing on the cake it will go towards other things...trips, retirement, whatever. You will notice when it is gone. It has been my experience that supervisors, regardless of the field, expect to earn more than their subordinates. For that comparison they will look at weekly earnings and W2s. Since they probably know what their former co-workers are making, they are most likely aware that they themselves are taking home less. That is the real 'bee in the bonnet' I am sure. It is just not as easy to complain about.