Teacher freakout Youtube going viral

A local teacher lost it in front of his class, and of course, some enterprising student recorded the meltdown and posted it on youtube. Since Sunday, I've seen the video shown on the local news, national news, and now mentioned in my favorite gossip blog (Dlisted for those who want to know . . . the rest of you -- don't judge). Read an article and see the youtube at [URL]http://bit.ly/9nO4Ys[/URL]

Personally, I really feel for the teacher. As a student, I never experienced kids talking back like that in a classroom. I taught composition 101 classes when I was working on my masters. Usually, I could reign in the backtalkers with a few jokes and an admonishment on how they were paying for these classes and they would be asked to leave if they couldn't be respectful of me and the classroom. I imagine if this teacher had tried to send someone to the principal's office, the kid would have ended up leaving school or wandering the halls.

As much as I feel for him though, I can also see it from the employer's side. This is a public relations nightmare.

What would you do if someone recorded one of your employees having a meltdown at work? How would you handle the employee who made the recording and posted it online? How would you handle the employee who melted? How would you handle the PR issue?

Has anyone had to deal with anything similar?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Being a high school teacher in this country today has to be one of the most difficult jobs around. My hat is off to anyone who can do it and not have a "melt down" as described in this article.

The sad thing to me is that this kind of incident gets so much media coverage and the countless number of teachers who go into classrooms day-after-day and keep it together get little to no recognition for what they do -- build the future ... one student at a time.

Sharon