twilight

Any twi-hards out there?

I wouldn't classify myself as one, but my daughter gave me the books to read and I must admit, I really enjoyed them. Stephanie Meyer is very good at characters, and the er..unusual. Perhaps I should say she is very good with weird. :)

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I, also, will admit to reading the books and liking them. But shhhhh. Don't tell anyone ;)
  • I read the first two books and couldn't read any more. My biggest problem is I can't stand Bella Swan. I had hoped that the heroine would be a bit stronger role model for young women but I find her such a limp, wimpy, whiny character, that's the main reason I didn't read past New Moon.

Nae, you say you think the writer is very good with "weird"...if you haven't read a lot of supernatural fiction then I can see where you'd think so, but it's been one of my favorite genres over the years and I've read alot of vampire books and I guess I don't find her weird enough! I don't like the way she writes her vampires, although I do like her werewolves.

I have seen both of the movies so far and I liked them better than the books, so I'll probably watch Eclipse eventually, since I don't know the rest of the story except for the little bits and pieces I've heard from my Twi-hard grandchildren & daughter-in-law.
  • You are right, I don't read a lot of supernatural kinds of books. I don't even read a lot of popular fiction. I tend to not like anything scary, and just knowing that vampires were involved put me off. However, there was so much hype and my daughter was so happy with the books that I read them and watched the movies. My 20 year old grand-daughter wanted the books for Christmas last year too, so I was getting it from 2 people I have a lot in common with (except the love of horror movies). We are checking our schedules to see if we can get together and the 3 of us go see Eclipse this weekend.

I went for the line 'good with wierd' since the author described Bella that way.

I don't see Bella as wimpy. She decides early on that Edward might very well kill her, but goes for it anyway, insisting she is not afraid. She goes to the dance studio to die to save her mother. In Eclipse she puts herself in danger to save others. She is not forceful, but I don't think she is wimpy. However, the girl is seriously lacking in self-esteem. That seems a normal teenage girl problem, so I am ok with it.

I absolutely love the music, especially Bella's Lullaby and Supermassive Black Hole. Some is very edgy, and some reminds me of the music when I was young. Put the love of the music together with a story I like and I am hooked. I am listening to the soundtrack from the first movie right now. :) Ahhh well. Back to work.
  • [SIZE=1]I just really haven't been able to get into the Twilight story. I saw the first movie and my daughter has read all the books, seen the first two movies and likes them a lot.

I read a lot of fiction and am not opposed to reading about the "weird." For example, Neil Gaiman's [I]American Gods [/I]was a bit weird and was an excellent story. His book [I]Neverwhere [/I]was even better. Terry Pratchett is also a favorite. If you haven't read any of his Discworld novels, you're in for a treat.

When I was watching the first Twilight movie I couldn't help but be reminded of the old TV series Dark Shadows. Anyone else remember that one? It came on just as I was getting home from school every day and was a fantastic, campy delight.

For my money, Edward doesn't hold a candle to Quentin and Bella is no Angelique.

Sharon[/SIZE]

;)
  • I have every episode of Dark Shadows in AVI on a hard drive. Even though they were the 'studio release' commercial versions, the VHS copies were very poor to begin with, and converting them didn't do any favors for the quality. But I watch them anyway. :)
  • Frank,

I would never have guessed you are a Dark Shadows fan. Not in a million years. I am stunned.

Sharon

PS: Who is your favorite character?

::alien::
  • [quote=Sharon McKnight SPHR;720116][SIZE=1]I just really haven't been able to get into the Twilight story. I saw the first movie and my daughter has read all the books, seen the first two movies and likes them a lot. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I read a lot of fiction and am not opposed to reading about the "weird." For example, Neil Gaiman's [I]American Gods [/I]was a bit weird and was an excellent story. His book [I]Neverwhere [/I]was even better. Terry Pratchett is also a favorite. If you haven't read any of his Discworld novels, you're in for a treat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]When I was watching the first Twilight movie I couldn't help but be reminded of the old TV series Dark Shadows. Anyone else remember that one? It came on just as I was getting home from school every day and was a fantastic, campy delight. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]For my money, Edward doesn't hold a candle to Quentin and Bella is no Angelique. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Sharon[/SIZE]

;)[/quote]

Sharon, I LOVE Neil Gaiman (and you haven't read "weird" until you've read some of his stuff) and Terry Pratchett is absolutely my favorite author in the world. I think I own every one of each of their books, and I also love the one they co-authored, "Good Omens". I'm on my third paperback copy of that book because I tend to re-read them to death!

Another author who does "weird" really well is Christopher Moore. He's written a couple of vampire books (You Suck is the title of the one I can remember) plus others that deal with an assortment of weird or supernatural stuff, and they are all so funny.

I also remember watching Dark Shadows after school when I was a kid. I think that's where I originally got my love of vampires, waaaay back before half the books in the young adult section of the bookstore were either Twilight or ripoffs of Twilight or some other series written by someone wanting to cash in on the current vampire craze.
  • Everyone loved Barnabas... because I'm a contrarian, I picked Quentin.

Despite the issues with production quality (or lack of), the show was groundbreaking in so many ways. Although, seriously, how could Victoria have never figured out Barnabas was a 200-year-old vampire? You think that would be a tough thing to hide from your wife.

In one of my favorite episodes, Barnabas is held captive in a coffin and is forced to tell the story of his life to a down-and-out writer. Um... "Interview With A Vampire", anyone? When I saw that episode again, I lost any respect I may have ever had for Anne Rice.
  • Oh, wow, Frank, I remember that episode....no wonder Interview with the Vampire struck me as vaguely familiar!

The quality was definitely of the cheap, cheesy variety but even as a kid I recognized the uniqueness of a t.v. show like that during that era.
  • [quote=cnghr;720119]Sharon, I LOVE Neil Gaiman (and you haven't read "weird" until you've read some of his stuff) and Terry Pratchett is absolutely my favorite author in the world. I think I own every one of each of their books, and I also love the one they co-authored, "Good Omens". I'm on my third paperback copy of that book because I tend to re-read them to death!

Another author who does "weird" really well is Christopher Moore. He's written a couple of vampire books (You Suck is the title of the one I can remember) plus others that deal with an assortment of weird or supernatural stuff, and they are all so funny.

I also remember watching Dark Shadows after school when I was a kid. I think that's where I originally got my love of vampires, waaaay back before half the books in the young adult section of the bookstore were either Twilight or ripoffs of Twilight or some other series written by someone wanting to cash in on the current vampire craze.[/quote]

[I]Good Omens[/I] is excellent. Also, [I]Anasi Boys[/I].

Chris Moore is one of my favorites. Among others, he wrote:

[I]The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove[/I]
    [I]Island of the Sequined Love Nun[/I]
    [I]A Dirty Job: A Nove[/I]l (my favorite)
    [I]Lamb: The Gispel According to Biff, Jesus' Childhood Pal[/I]
    [I]Bite Me: A Love Story[/I]
    [I]Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story[/I]
    [I]Fool: A Novel[/I]
    [I]Practical Demonkeeping[/I]

If you like Christopher Moore, you'd probably like Tom Robbins. He wrote [I]Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates[/I]. It's about an ex CIA agent and is hilarious. He's written a number of other books as well but not much in recent years.

For me, one of the greatest joys in life is to read a good book. Nothing beats it for great entertainment.

Happy July 4, everyone!!

Sharon

**==
  • Speaking of vampires, anyone remember the movie,[I] Dracula[/I], with Frank Langella. I think it came out back in the 70's. It was excellent. Langella also played Skeletor in [I]Masters of the Universe[/I], another good, campy movie.

Sharon
  • Yup, Sharon, I loved Christopher Moore so much from the first time I read him, I had to buy all of his books. [I]A[/I] [I]Dirty Job[/I] and [I]Lamb[/I] are my favorites and I always re-read [I]The Stupidest Angel[/I] at Christmas time. Have you read that one? I didn't care for [I]Fool[/I], which surprised me because so far I've really liked all of his other books.

I've never read Tom Robbins. I'll have to check him out.

I'm like you, one of my greatest joys is reading a good book. And I've found that I am one of the last "purists" I know about not wanting to listen to books on CD or read from a Kindle or any other electronic medium....I love the feel of holding an actual book, turning the pages, and carrying books around with me, even. I love to read at lunch and yesterday I discovered I forgot to bring my book with me. I felt like I was going through some sort of withdrawal or something. (Yes, I am truly that much of a "book geek".) I had to go out and try to find something to read and only came up with a magazine I hadn't read yet, and it wasn't even one of my favorites. I guess I'll have to start stashing an emergency book here in my office!

Happy 4th!
  • Neil Gaiman has written a lot of fantastic stuff... It would be a shame if Coraline ends up being the signature work for his career. I liked Coraline a lot, but it isn't nearly as fun/twisted as some of his other stuff. Consider the roots of Coraline... it began as a story Gaiman's little girl made up. That's a pretty good indication of the kind of dark creativity in that house!

By the way, Gaiman is a great interview if you get a chance to see or hear him. He's also one of my earliest 'celebrity' Twitter peeps... @NeilHimself - shockingly ordinary as a regular person and dad. :)
  • Wow! You guys are really making me think about reading some of these books. It is just that I hate to leave a story in the middle so have to set aside a big block of time to read a book unless it is a self-improvement type book.

CNGR: I spent some time with the first book again this weekend. I can see exactly what you meant about her being a wimp. Fainting from being kissed is a little over the top. However, I believe the author wanted us to see her as brave (think about how Edward talks in the hosptial scene at the end of the book). I think most books don't tell us all the internal dialogue, and that makes a bit of a difference. Courage is not based on whether you are scared or not, but on whether you act in spite of fear. Still, she comes across as more insecure and frightened in the book than in the movie. And Edward comes across as more menacing.

So, this weekend my 42 year old neice, my 30 year old daughter, my 20 year old grand-daughter (who got us all involved in the first place) and I went to see Eclipse. It was about what I expected. What was really funny was my hubby. He had seen the first 2 movies with me at home, and told me it was fine for me to go with 'the girls.' Later he let me know that he wanted to see it too so I went with him the next day. I have never done that before. Oh dear, oh dear! I DONT want to be a Twihard. :)
  • I went to see Eclipse with my son on Monday evening. His wife is a Twihard but she's out of town right now and hasn't been able to see it yet so she was terribly jealous that we got to see it before her, especially since neither of us are particularly fans. We both actually liked it more than we thought we would, although he did say "there was still too much of the teenage-love story-angsty stuff in it". In my teens I remember watching West Side Story (no, I wasn't in my teens when it came out, but I saw it for the first time when I was 14) and Romeo & Juliet so I guess I don't begrudge anyone their Twilight!