Electronic Timekeeping - Actual "Approval" Required?

Hello All

We are getting ready to implement an electronic timekeeping system through our payroll provider ADP. Interestingly enough the system gives employers the "option" of an "Approval" step. According to the time and labor experts I am working with at ADP they indicate that the Approval step is optional as it is specifically not required by the DOL Wage and Hour division. They are saying that the mere fact tht an employee is logging into a system and/or utilizing a telephone PIN when logging or clocking time, that this is sufficient as it shows evidence of hours worked and recordkeeping requirements and satisfies the "best evidence" rule in proving this to the DOL. What say you all?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • On our time sheet software, employees must "Submit" their time sheets to the accounting dept. This is the equivalent of an electronic signature, as this is a password-protected task. This protects the company and the employee.

Jim
  • We're on the system, and I ask employees and their supervisors to "approve" all timesheets. I like having that last arrow in my quiver when I'm trying to prove the timesheets are either accurate or were regarded as accurate by the employee. It's just one final chance the employee has to tell me something doesn't look right.

If an employee doesn't to approve, they still get paid. But I bug the crap out of them to get them to remember.
  • [QUOTE=mandrews;719660]Hello All

We are getting ready to implement an electronic timekeeping system through our payroll provider ADP. Interestingly enough the system gives employers the "option" of an "Approval" step. According to the time and labor experts I am working with at ADP they indicate that the Approval step is optional as it is specifically not required by the DOL Wage and Hour division. They are saying that the mere fact tht an employee is logging into a system and/or utilizing a telephone PIN when logging or clocking time, that this is sufficient as it shows evidence of hours worked and recordkeeping requirements and satisfies the "best evidence" rule in proving this to the DOL. What say you all?[/QUOTE]

Is the approval step for employees or the employer? I feel that having a supervisor or other manager approve the time is a good step, as they can review the hours and say, "hmm - Susie left early that day but she clocked out at 5...what gives?" Helps us prevent abuse.
  • Just because you have to pay for unauthorized time doesn't mean you should forget looking over time sheets. If someone is getting unauthorized overtime, this is the fastest way to put a stop to it. Plus, it is easier to hold a supervisor accountable for the unauthorized time his/her employees are using.

This is just one reason to make sure the supervisor checks the time cards. Even systems set up to avoid cheating can be cheated. A supervisor checking will help you know that the system is working.

Good luck!

Nae
  • We use ADP's ezLabor. We require supervisors to approve employees' time. It seems a prudent business practice to me. We are all capable of forgetting to enter something we should have and the supervisors are a check in the system.