April Fool's Day

Another thread talked about Google's April Fool's Day prank. Did anyone here pull anything on friends, family or co-workers?

We pulled a prank on a relatively new employee yesterday (M). Her closest co-worker (B) told her that she left her window open and consequently the alarm went off, police were called, etc etc.

I then followed up a few hours later asking if the CEO had come to see her. I said the alarm company and the police would both bill us for the unnecessary call, and that the CEO had to come down in the middle of the night to fix things. M told me she didn't remember leaving the window open, and that she was very sorry and would make sure it didn't happen again.

B then snuck up on her and said, "April Fools!" Our very polite and ladylike employee, M, looked at us in shock a moment and then called us ..err...female dogs. :golf clap: Such an unexpected reply! We cracked up.

To make matters funnier it turned out that it didn't hit her until later that even the open window part was part of the prank. She really thought she left the window open and the police part was the prank part until she had time to think about it. :D

We have had lots of funny pranks here over the years. Did you participate in any or hear of any this year?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There used to be plenty of pranks going on all year around here, not just on April Fool's day. Maybe because we are corporate headquarters, or maybe we've just all gotten too old and tired to think up anything new, but I haven't seen anything done around here in years.

There are a couple of notable ones I can remember being in on: one girl had a huge pile of documents that she had copied and collated by hand and was getting ready to send out to people. She left them on her desk when she was going to be gone for a couple of days. While she was gone, we hid the documents and left a note on her desk that said we wanted to help her out so we had taken care of the pile of documents to be shredded that she left on her desk. First she freaked out, then she was extremely NOT amused when we told her.

A friend of mine owned a towing company. One year, we arranged for my friend to come and hook up the CEO's vehicle to the tow truck, then we got the boss to go outside just as the tow truck drove down the street past our building. It took him a few seconds to realize he was seeing his own truck being towed away. He didn't freak out, and when we told him, he took it very well and in fact found it funny.
  • I didnt do too much yesterday. I did post an opening for "Cabana Boy" on my HR manager Facebook page. It had a link to our website that indicated the "position was filled April 1."

A few days ago I placed an "annoy-a-tron" in our housekeeping office. It sets off a high pitched tone at random times every 4-8 minutes that only people under 35 can hear but its quiet annoying.

The older staff wont even hear it but the young folks must be in agony by now.
  • One of the best ones we ever did was have someone from our clinic call one of our employees, say they were from the health department and were trying to reach his girlfriend, and inform him that the test results were positive. The employee was dating someone from the pharmacy, and we razzed him about it alot. What we [I]didn't [/I]know, was that his girlfriend had gone to take a pregnancy test and he was waiting for the results. He turned pale when he got the phone call, and we figured he thought she had something. He later told us we really got him good and why. Fortunately, she had called him shortly after our stunt. We laughed for days over that one.

PS: That was in the mid-90's. They are married and have several kids now.