Employment counselling

We are letting an employee go. I want to offer him some assistance in finding another job. May be some help with his resume, interview skills, and job placement. Any ideas?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Theresa, I have done all those things. Sometimes in the workplace its necessary for the employment relationship to end but I don't think that it means we can't continue a personal relationship and offer our assistance.

I think the only caution I would offer is to offer your assistance but don't take on the responsibility for this individual.

I went so far as to help a young man we had fired apply and get into a live-in job corp training program. This young man was from a tough home with no parents really to speak of. He had violated our rules to the point that he could not continue working for us but as an individual I felt like it was appropriate to help him try to steer his life in a positive direction.
  • Theresa,

In NJ, our Department of Labor & Workforce Development provides tons of free resources to help displaced workers find work and/or train for a new career. If your state does not offer these services, you may want to consider a "severance" type of agreement, where your company would subsidize the cost of a professional re-employment service.
  • Thanks for your ideas. I found that Texas does have those services for the unemployed. I was able to give the person that information when I released him.
  • In the past I've also recommended some of the staffing agencies that we have good relationships with, especially if the individual in question is a great worker, just not a right fit for the company/position.
  • I'll provide as many resources as I can, but I won't do any "actual work" for them. I do have a great local contact with our state unemployment agency who will help with applications, resumes, etc. - if the person needs hands-on assistance I send them to Pete.