usable movie lines

Frank's post on another thread reminded me of some great movie lines that we use in everyday life. I wondered what other favorites are out there.

Hubby and I tend to use several frequently. They are, "I'll be back" from the Terminator (doesn't everyone?) and, "220, 221, whatever it takes" from Mr. Mom. We translate it to other things like, "How many cookies are you going to eat?" "4, 5, whatever it takes." We also use lines from the Karate Kid (you too much tv) and the television series Kung Fu (Ahhh, Grasshopper...)

Do you use movie lines in regular life? What are your favorites?

Comments

• 33 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, in my family we are big ones for doing that also.

"I've come for your daughter, Chuck" from Beetlejuice (used when we go pick up one of the granddaughters)

"Beam me up, Scotty"

"I'll be back"

and quite a few others I can't think of right at this moment.

My personal all-time favorite is kind of obscure but I love it: "You are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence", from the movie Time Bandits.
  • Some movies are just one non-stop quotefest - Monty Python's Holy Grail, Princess Bride, Blues Brothers, Stripes, just to name a few of the best. I use quotes from those movies on a weekly (or even daily) basis, just to keep from having to develop an original thought. :)

The more serious times call for the right line from Casablanca: "Round up the usual suspects" or "I was misinformed." One of my favorites, though, is one I don't get to use very often... and again, is one almost no one gets. Remember the scene when Peter Lorre's little insect of a character is pestering Rick? Lorre asks him, "You despise me, don't you?" And Rick replies, "If I gave you any thought I probably would." I like to use the second line on people who are being major jerks, without the benefit of the first line to set it up. Hey - I know what comes before, so it's all the same to me.

The old line "any organization that would have me as a member isn't worth joining", or to that effect, had a parallel line in Casablanca. Again, it's Lorre addressing Rick: "You know, Rick, I have many a friend in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”

What a great movie.
  • Some of these are very difficult to work into normal conversation.

"I'll be your huckleberry." - Tombstone

"Very interesting... as a LUGGAGE problem!" - Joe Versus the Volcano

"I nicked the census man!" - O Brother Where Art Thou?

"Its a hard world for the little things." -Raising Arizona

"OK Then." -Raising Arizona

"So I got that going for me" - Caddyshack

"You got a purdy mouth!" - Deliverance
  • One of my all time favorites is: "What we have here is a failure to communicate." It's from Cool Hand Luke. I think I used that a few too many times when my daughter was a teenager. I finally sat her down with the video and, well, she stole my line.

Another is: "I'll get you, and your little dog too." Of course, this one is from the Wizard of Oz. I used that one on Becky when she was younger. She didn't have a dog so, depending on the level of malice I applied when saying it, it would usually make her laugh.

Last one: “Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot,” This one is from an old Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone as Sherlock.

Sharon ;)
  • We use a lot of those mentioned too. Another one I thought of comes from the 1947 movie, "Miracle on 34th Street." There's a scene where a tipsy wife makes a phone call and says, "HelllOOOOOO!" Several of my family members say it when they get on the phone. It gets kind of like that commercial a few years ago where everyone was saying 'Whassup?' We keep saying it back and forth.
    Another line we use from the same movie, "I believe. I believe. It's silly, but I believe."
  • Using movie/TV lines in everyday conversation is the highlight of my day. And yes, I realize that sounds ridiculous, but hey, simple pleasures, right?

A few of my favorites to use with employees:

Office Space (of course):
    "Did you get the memo?"
    "We need to talk about your TPS reports."
    "Yeah..I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday, mm-kay?"
    "Have you seen my stapler?"
    "Mr...Na da...Na da...Notta gonna work here anymore!"
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

I Love Lucy:
    "You've got a lot of 'splainin to do!"

Top Gun:
    "You're ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

I like this game...I could go on and on and on...can you tell I like movies?
  • That makes me want to watch Office Space again. I always think of that movie when our copier starts to break down or when I hear the name Michael Bolton.

The toughest part is finding the appropriate setting to use these lines. But that's also why its so gratifying.

Here's another good one from Raising Arizona that HR pros could use all the time.

"You're young and you got your health. What you want with a job?"

Others from Raising Arizona

"Repeat OFFENDER!"

"Prison life is structured. More than some people care for."

"Son, you got a PANTY on your head."
  • My favorite line from Raising Arizona is "We got a child now. Everything's changed." My youngest could really do it well when she was younger.

My hubby loves to break the tension when he is annoyed at me by saying, "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do."
  • "mighty fine cereal flakes, mrs. Mcdunnough" - Raising arizona
  • I use the Blues Brothers line "I hate Illinois Nazis" waaaay too often. I think they may end up putting that on my tombstone.
  • When I make a bone headed mistake - Oh...McFly!?!?! McFly? - Back to the Future

I quote Forrest Gump a lot. Love that movie! Doesn't pertain to any given situation....just fun.

Paul, you made me laugh when you said "I'll be your huckleberry". When our daughter's relationship was getting serious with her future husband and was discussing this with us, my husband told her "Tell Justin I'll be his hucklberry". I cracked up! She didn't find it very humorous though.
  • How about, "It's time for a perfectly meaningless act...and we're just the people to pull it off". Animal House.
  • Does anybody have any other movie quotes? Bueller? Bueller?
  • Wellllllll Willllburrrr - Mr. Ed (Ok, not a movie)

Frankly my dear....I don't give a damn - Gone With the Wind (Would like to use this often, but you know, supposed to be professional and all)

Too much mind - Karate Kid

Do you feel lucky, punk? Wellll...... do ya? - Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry?)
  • Yep, it was Dirty Harry. Also like the line from the same move: "Go ahead. Make my day."
  • Just thought of two more from the Die Hard movies. One was "Yippee Ki-yay..." (I'll leave the last part off. :) and the other was, "I got a bad feeling about this."
  • Oh, yeah, the yippee ki-yay line has been a favorite for years. Speaking of unprintable movie lines, "*Bleep* me gently with a chainsaw" from Heathers was always a good one, too.
  • This isn't really a movie line. Its a quote from Rod Blagojevich on Celebrity Apprentice as he talks to his lawyer on the phone:

"This guy was a close friend of mine....This lying piece of [bleep]...But he betrays me, he betrays me at the job and then he goes and does this? The lies are so outlandish that they're [bleep] almost laughable, aren't they?...But there's no tape that corroborates that right? Good, okay."
  • "Hey you guys?!" Sloth from Goonies.

It's not really usable, but it's classic: "I carried a watermelon." Quickly followed by, "I carred a watermelon?!" Baby- Dirty Dancing.

The quote from Blagojevich is hilarious. I'd say unbelievable...but it isn't.
  • Speaking of Celebrity Apprentice, who got fired last night? I only watched the first hour, then let my husband switch channels. I wasn't sure if I could take another hour of Cindy Lauper's ditziness!
  • Sinbad got axed.

What's the deal with it being 2 hours? Although this episode might be worth watching online.

Blago is turning out to be my favorite. He's just so sleazy and nutty. He's got a thing for balloons.

Another classic Blago moment:

Exchange with passer-by:
    Passer-by: "You're a disgrace."
    Blago: "No, none of that's true. That's baloney."
    Passer-by: "Enjoy prison."
  • It doesn't surprise me about Sinbad. From as much of it as I watched, he didn't seem like a very good project manager.

I was actually getting kind of a kick out of watching Blagojevich, who I was prepared to really hate. He's definitely sleazy (he's a politician, after all) but he isn't boring, anyhow. I caught that exchange with the person on the street who told him he was a disgrace....I also got a huge kick out of the part where the young woman mistook him for Donny Osmond!
  • I'm sure most people watching the program will assume Blago is just putting on a show for the cameras. He's not. That's the same crazy Blago who got elected.
  • I can see I'm gonna have to give in and take a looksie. I watched alot of the first Celebrity Apprentice, but found myself disgusted by many of the remarks and the way some treated each other. I also did NOT like the final result. I haven't watched since.

Guess I will see if anything's changed, and see just how crazy that guy Blago is.
  • Blago definitely comes across as a bit of a nut. I think there is a celebrity pecking order and in some ways, Blago is at the bottom. Perhaps that is why he feels the need to constantly remind people that he was the governor of a sizable state.

last night I watched "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" with my girls and we loved it. Lot's of quotable lines and funny moments. Its directed by Wes Anderson so its quirky but definitely not your run of the mill Disney/pixar type movie.

"What the cuss?"

"Hotbox!"
  • I'd been wondering about The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I read some pretty poor reviews of it but often I like movies that the reviewers don't so I kind of wanted to hear about it from a "real person" who had seen it. My grandkids are coming for a sleepover on Friday....maybe we'll rent it & watch it with them.
  • Um.... its crazy enough that kids will probably watch it but as an adult you will know that the topics are touching on deep things.

At one point Mrs. Fox looks at her husband who has backslid into stealing chickens and endangered their family and says:

[URL="http://forum.hrlaws.com/name/nm0000658/"][B][COLOR=#003399]Mrs. Fox[/COLOR][/B][/URL]: This story's too predictable.
    [B][URL="http://forum.hrlaws.com/name/nm0000123/"][COLOR=#003399]Mr. Fox[/COLOR][/URL][/B]: Predictable? Really? Then, how does it end?
    [B][URL="http://forum.hrlaws.com/name/nm0000658/"][COLOR=#003399]Mrs. Fox[/COLOR][/URL][/B]: In the end, we all die. Unless you change.

That line hit me hard and got me thinking about how as a husband and a father so much of the health and well being of my family depends on the choices I make.
  • I love animated movies that have just adult or deep enough content that the kids won't necessarily "get it" but that still makes it more interesting to an adult just your average kiddie cartoon. I was thinking that the older grandkids would probably enjoy it...they're almost 11 and 13, so they might even get some of the deeper content. Trying to get the two younger girls (almost 5 & 2.5) to sit down and watch any movie that doesn't star Barbie or Elmo is like trying to herd cats, so we usually watch things we really want to see after they're asleep!
  • They'll like it. Its just....different.

Don't blame me if they start saying "What the cuss?"
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;719465]They'll like it. Its just....different.

Don't blame me if they start saying "What the cuss?"[/quote]

Heck, I'll probably start saying that....I love it!