Telecommuting - assistance please.

We are looking to 1 employee who will be working off-site - out of state for us. Looking for some examples of policies if anyone would like to share.

We are also looking to allow some employees to work from home on occassion - need "real world" advice on how to best accomplish this.

I have been looking and reading - but want to hear from those doing it please.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are a financial institution located in central Missouri and recently had one ee work out of the great state of Alaska for 9 - 10 months. We currently have three ee's workign off site and one is in IL. Had a few opportunites getting the out of state payroll taxe reporting set up for these folks and it seems every state must have different reporting requirements, even if you only have one ee in the state. I will be happy to sent you our Remote Worksite Agreement - how can I get this to you?
  • Hi,

I telecommute a couple of days a week myself and really enjoy the extra time not fighting traffic provides me with. My commute is an hour each way, so telecommuting gives me 4 more hours each week to do silly things like read a book, clean house, or do laundry. Don't tell my boss (Tony), but sometimes, I use it just to sleep an hour later. Kidding aside, telecommuting offers employees an added benefit and, with everyone's budget being so tight these days, it saves money for both employees and employers. It can also be a great morale booster, especially for employees who usually work long days in the office. It gives them more "at home" time even though they're working the same hours. Of course, supervisors of telecommuters should check to make sure that telecommuting employees have enough work they can do at home to stay busy and telecommuters should be held to the same performance standards as employees who do not telecommute.

If you'd like to learn more about telecommuting, check out the topic page on on HRHero. Just click on the "Hot Topics" tab in the navigation bar at the top of your screen, Next, click on the letter "T" and you should find telecommuting first on that list. You'll find links on that page that will take you to more information as well.

You can find a sample telecommuting policy on HRHero. Just scroll down to HR Tools and click on Sample Policies & Procedures. Next, scroll down to Section III- Employment. The policy on telecommuting is the 14th in that section.

Also, subscribers can find a Request to Telecommute Form on HRLaws.com. Just click on the Forms tab then scroll down to the General Forms section. Next click on “Benefits – Hours/Work Arrangements. The form is the fifth in the list.

I hope this helps.

Sharon
  • Please send to [email]llerche@duperon.com[/email]. Thank you!!