Employee Discipline

Currently working an investigation on a supervisor who has been complaining to the rank and file staff about the department head. There have been mulitple occurances but finally received complaints on two separate incidents. The department head and Board of Trustees are considering either Terminiation or Demotion. No previous documented disciplinary actions. Looking for any suggestions of additional actions that should be looked at as the investigation progresses.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • jdevoe,

A supervisor complaining about upper management is definitely not acceptable behavior and the supervisor should be disciplined for that. Before any decision is made as to disciplinary measures, I'd be sure to look into the supervisor's complaints against the department head. They may be valid. With that said, termination seems a bit extreme for a supervisor with no prior disciplinary issues. Not knowing the details of what the supervisor has done exactly, however, it's hard to say for sure.

Also, did I read that right, the department head is included in the disciplinary process of an employee who has complained about him/her? Given the supervisor has complained about the department head how can the department head offer an unbiased disciplinary recommendation?

Am I missing something?

Sharon
  • I have never found demotion to be particularly useful. . if you think this person bad mouths now. .

"mulitple occurances" Has the supervisor been warned or put on notice previously?

Is it the rank and file complaining? What is the nature of the complaint?

Absent a few more facts. .I would probably confront the supervisor, put them on notice/last chance, discipline but not fire. (or demote)