labor law posters

Has anyone seen anything about employers being required to post bi-lingual labor law posters in the workplace? I googled but nothing came up. This is supposed to be effective 1/1/10. Thanks.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote=Irie;718629]Has anyone seen anything about employers being required to post bi-lingual labor law posters in the workplace? I googled but nothing came up. This is supposed to be effective 1/1/10. Thanks.[/quote]

I don't know about your state, Irie, but we have been in Oklahoma for a couple of years.
  • We post ours in English and Southern.

(hehehe - that was for you, Joannie)
  • :p Thanks for thinking about me, Frank.
  • [quote=Irie;718629]Has anyone seen anything about employers being required to post bi-lingual labor law posters in the workplace? I googled but nothing came up. This is supposed to be effective 1/1/10. Thanks.[/quote]

As far as I know, the only non-English language requirement has to do with the FMLA poster which requires employers with a workforce that is not proficient in English to provide the notice in the language the non-English speaking employee(s) speaks.

Just curious, Irie, but where did you hear about this new requirement?

Sharon
  • G. Neil.

hahahahahahahahahaha!
  • [QUOTE=Sharon McKnight SPHR;718644]As far as I know, the only non-English language requirement has to do with the FMLA poster which requires employers with a workforce that is not proficient in English to provide the notice in the language the non-English speaking employee(s) speaks.

Just curious, Irie, but where did you hear about this new requirement?

Sharon[/QUOTE]

Our President had a labor law publication that indicated the EEO poster must be posted in Spanish if you have 15 or more Spanish speaking employees. I already had the FMLA poster and the E-Verify posters posted in Spanish so today I posted the EEO poster just to be on the safe side.
  • Sounds fishy. Or Californian.

[quote=Irie;718656]Our President had a labor law publication that indicated the EEO poster must be posted in Spanish if you have 15 or more Spanish speaking employees. I already had the FMLA poster and the E-Verify posters posted in Spanish so today I posted the EEO poster just to be on the safe side.[/quote]
  • [quote=ACU Frank;718659]Sounds fishy. Or Californian.[/quote]

California has a mind boggling list of state poster requirements, but EEOC is federal and I can't find anywhere (including the EEOC website) that says it is a requirement to post in Spanish. It is available in multiple languages though and I would recommend posting it in as many languages as are present in your workforce, perhaps even in your community.

If you need any labor law posters, you can find them on HR Hero and on HR Laws ([url]www.hrlaws.com[/url]).

Sharon
  • Irie,

In what state is your company located? I have a list of required postings by state including required language.

Sharon, Sorry, it came from another company.:o
  • My otherwise wonderful collection of "50 Employment Laws In 50 States" includes [I]some[/I] information on posting languages, but not much. (Sounds like 51 Employment Laws in 50 States may be in order.)

It also provides linkage to state-by-state downloads and requirements.

Going back to the original post though, my question is whether any state - including the People's Republic of California - can require employers to use bilingual federal posters if federal law does not require it. I doubt it, and in those cases I would assume the state would come up with it's own version.
  • [QUOTE=ACU Frank;718693]My otherwise wonderful collection of "50 Employment Laws In 50 States" includes [I]some[/I] information on posting languages, but not much. (Sounds like 51 Employment Laws in 50 States may be in order.)[/QUOTE]

Well now I can't have an "otherwise wonderful" book! :)

I'll make a note to collect more information on the language requirements when we start the revisions for the next edition of 50x50, as we can easily make that a subpart to the posting requirement section.

As an aside, for those who might be curious, the newly-updated 2010 edition was just sent off to press and will be available in mid-February.
  • FYI to all HRLaws subscribers, the 2010 updated, 50 by 50 is now available on the site.

Sharon