Facebook Faux Pas

2»

Comments

• If you find "Going Rogue" in his backpack, you may need to sit him down and have "the talk".

Teens have their own language too. They use it to communicate via text without their parents knowing what they are saying. Here are some texts you need to watch out for:

Becked it - means some information has been confirmed through Glenn Beck
    tprty - a protest event
    DYWFN? - Did you watch Fox News last night?
    Papa Bear - Bill O'Reilly
    TDT - trickle down theory
    BB - Brooks Brothers
    WAPO - Washington Post
    GOP - well that's an obvious one.
  • haha! I'll watch for those!

Although, I must say it seems like a long shot that I would find ANY book in his backpack. If Playstation makes a version of Going Rogue that has Palin shooting wolves from a helicopter in her panties, I might have to worry.

Hmmm... sounds like I just stumbled across the next million-dollar-idea!
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;718470]I think its a foe paw to correct peeple's spelleeng.

This is a really interesting story, Linda. Fortunately, these things will blow over but it will probably feel like an eternity to this guy.

Is there any chance that your bank will distance itself from this guy? Meaning fire him? Hopefully not.[/quote]

I had to correct it, I even corrected my own spelling yesterday on one of my posts. I'm just a tad OCD.

Russell's last day is today... He had resigned several weeks ago and was only staying to help out while a co-worker was out on disability. He wanted out of Banking.

And I am EXTREMELY careful about what I put on FB. My co-workers, family and several clergy friends are all on there. When I go out with friends I always try to make sure there is no picture of me drinking. I usually drink water anyway - but that rare time will get me in trouble. A friend from college, who is a missionary in Africa, sends me messages saying he is praying for me. Really?? Nae and Jo have seen my pictures. They are quite tame!

My nephew's live in girlfriend is friends with my mom on there. It is quite interesting... ROFL
  • KSR,
    Last time I checked my facebook, I noticed that one of my friends (who lives in Memphis) had just joined the group "Support Russell Wiseman."
  • I am so thrilled that I know someone who knows Russell. KSR is a facebook celebrity by association.
  • Paul, if that is all it takes to make your day then dude, seriously. Go outside or something.

I am a member of that Group, as are all my co-workers. I have never had cause to doubt the media treatment of someone before. But this has made me stop and think two or three times before I condemn someone based on what I hear. Kind of like being in HR, we need to get all the facts before we make a decision. Not just go on hearsay.

See how I turned this into an HR discussion? I'm good like that.
  • Ok, I am outside. Now what? Ow.. the sun. It burns!
  • Okay, but explain to me how imflammatory and bigoted comments [B]made by the employee on a public forum[/B] are hearsay...

I don't have an issue with this guy's constitutional right to say what he said. But gee, Mayor... either stand your ground if you think you're right or apologize if you think you're wrong. Don't hide behind your own brand of self-inflicted victimization.

Of course, we've all had those employees, too. The ones who use bad judgment then blame it on the policy, their coworkers, or the weather.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;718513]Okay, but explain to me how imflammatory and bigoted comments [B]made by the employee on a public forum[/B] are hearsay...

I don't have an issue with this guy's constitutional right to say what he said. But gee, Mayor... either stand your ground if you think you're right or apologize if you think you're wrong. Don't hide behind your own brand of self-inflicted victimization.

Of course, we've all had those employees, too. The ones who use bad judgment then blame it on the policy, their coworkers, or the weather.[/quote]

Well, he was kidding. I know him. What is hearsay is all the things people are assuming and saying about him. That is what I was referring to.

GOOD BYE. Done, outta here. Glad I didn't renew.
  • [quote=Paul in Cannon Beach;718512]Ok, I am outside. Now what? Ow.. [I][B]the sun. It burns![/B][/I][/quote]

As one who is familiar with Oregon weather in December, I call "Shennanigans!"

Sorry to divert the thread away from HR, but I just couldn't help it. :D
  • Somebody get Paul a hat. Quick! Before his brain is fried. ;)
  • I do feel bad for this guy. He's getting crushed under the wheels of our soundbite media which loves this kind of story and dont give a whit about the people whose lives they destroy.

That's not to excuse what he did but the reaction is beyond the scope of a what amounts to a few off hand silly comments. As a mayor, he should have known better but its unfair to demonize him.

I watched President Bush get called EVERY name in the book for eight years so I find liberal outrage a little disengenuous.
  • But the outrage isn't from the press, and that's who is being blamed for this.

Look, you have an elected official who used a public forum to say some nasty things. Again, I don't care whether he said them... But how do you do something like that and NOT expect some attention?

I read the whole thing (admittedly - as reprinted in the media, not on Facebook, but I think that's probably immaterial) and it was much worse than his supporters have characterized it. Having read it, there is about zero chance anyone could convince me he didn't mean anything offensive and was just joking.

But again - I don't care that he said it. It's this Palin-esque avoidance of responsibility in the matter that gets to me.
  • What you don't know Frank is there were threats made against him. Nice, well meanng liberals making nasty threats - go figure. He has two small children, was advised by our Sheriff to LEAVE TOWN. In that instance, I would lay low as well. Least said sooner mended. But since you have NEVER made a mistake Frank, I'm sure you haven't had cause to learn that phrase.

You are still the same. I was on FB and read the WHOLE thing at the time and laughed. I even made a joking post the next day when he made a comment about the Communist Appeal (what people in Memphis call our extremely liberal paper) contacting him. And sorry, but FB is not a PUBLIC forum. Oops, did you make a mistake?

Say "Oh Brother" again. I found that offensive - but was not surprised by your reaction.

I sent a request for this account to be deleted. I have cleared out my inbox and would like for that request to be completed. Thank you.
  • One of the best things about an open forum is that it provides individuals with a way to express their ideas, insights, and opinions. Not everyone is always going to agree with everyone else's ideas or insights, much less their opinions, but it is still important for all concerned to feel free to express themselves. This was brought home to me loud and clear over the weekend.

We celebrated my mom’s 81st birthday on Saturday and, as I sat there watching my family, I realized, once again, that not everyone gets along with everyone else all the time. For example, my daughter and two nieces are at odds with one another over a variety of instances where one or the other of them has insulted or hurt one or more of the others. None of them have sisters and two of them are only children and, as a result, none have learned about the give and take of sisterhood. I, on the other hand, have two sisters who I, by turns, love dearly or can’t stand the sight of. Sounds harsh, I know, but I also know that I’ll always be there for either of them whenever needed and they will do the same for me. It’s just that we don’t always agree. What I’ve learned over the years, that my daughter and two nieces have not yet learned is, the same thing that King Solomon learned as well, that --- this too shall pass.

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season and a great New Year!

Sharon

PS: Does anyone have and Santa smilies?