Health insurance poll

We are taking a hard look at our approach to providing health insurance for our employees due to the rising costs and difficult economy.

Just curious how the rest of you are responding.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We plan on offering the same level of benefits as before; however, 2010 will be the first year our employees have been required to pay a portion of the cost for their coverage. We plan on continuing to pay about 50% of the cost for dependent coverag.
  • We are part of a self-funded group (our owner company's) and have had the same rates and benefits for 3 years, partially due to a high deductible, and partially due to the hard work and diligence of our employees.

In 2010 we are increasing rates by 3%, but offering an option with reduced deductibles and reduced co-pays. This option has a much smaller, but focused, network. If you need something unavailable in the mini-network, you can go to the larger network at no penalty. If you go out of the mini-network for something available there, you will be penalized.

We also made some minor adjustments to our leave program. These changes were all made in response to an employee survey.
  • We know we will have at least a 10% increase next year. The underwriter made an error when quoting us, but the company agreed to honor the quote. We pay 70% of the health insurance. Doesn't matter if ee only or ee plus dependents.
  • We just went through our annual renewal, and originally we had a 14% increase in premiums, but we made a very minor change to the prescription drug portion of our benefit (increasing a couple of the co-pays by $10 each) that took the increase down to 12%. We pay approximately 82% of the premiums, whether the coverage is for employee only or includes dependents.

So far we haven't really had to do anything drastic to our plan, like cut benefits or increase deductibles to a ridiculous amount, but we are trying, very gradually, to pass along more of the cost of premiums to the employees.
  • We're keeping the status quo on health and dental, but I'm thinking of cutting or eliminating work comp and unemployment insurance.
  • [quote=ACU Frank;717886]We're keeping the status quo on health and dental, but I'm thinking of cutting or eliminating work comp and unemployment insurance.[/quote]

I agree with Paul. (Can't believe I said that). Please give us the details so we can follow in your footsteps. (Can't believe I said that, either.):D
  • This thread appears to be full of doubt and disbelief, not to mention sarcasm. :)