Recipe for Jambalya

2»

Comments

• They make that stuff that you melt in the microwave that you can use to dip things like strawberries in that sets up pretty well, I wonder if that would work for bacon also? I'd think it would have to be something that would set up pretty solid because heaven forbid the chocolate should slide off the bacon!

I just read an article on msn.com about all the deep-fried foods at the Texas State Fair and it was telling how one guy is doing deep-fried butter this year. They wrap a frozen blob of butter in some sort of dough, then deep fry it, and they say it ends up tasting like a really buttery biscuit or croissant. That might be interesting!
  • Alan King, here. No, not that Alan King. I'm the Editorial Director here at M. Lee Smith.

Frank, there really is no recipe for chocolate-covered bacon. It's just bacon dipped in chocolate. I spent some time last weekend experimenting with different types of bacon and chocolate. I found that nice, thick-cut bacon worked the best, and I cooked it in the oven instead of pan-frying it. 375 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Use a baking rack in a shallow pan. That way the grease drips off the bacon (be sure to save the fat for later cooking -- or a midnight snack).

The main thing I would have done differently would have been cooking the bacon longer and letting it get crispier. As it turned out, the bacon was a little chewy, which meant you had to chew each bite longer. I think that was why a couple of people didn't like it. Extra crispy bacon (but not burned) would have gone down quicker and probably eliminated the "this is weird" factor.

For chocolate, I used cheap milk chocolate. I had nice, expensive chocolate, but I screwed up the melting process and had to resort to what I had left in the cupboard. A nice dark chocolate probably would be the best.

So there you go. As Celeste mentioned earlier, my department gave me an overall thumbs up. Only one person spit it out. (She will go unnamed, but her reaction will play a big role in her next performance review.) Everyone else liked it. One person spent most of the day telling me how disgusting it looked. But she eventually broke down and tried it -- and liked it!

Let me know your family's reaction if you make it.
  • Thanks Alan!

And by the way, you must be pretty old, because only us old guys (and Gameshow Network addicts) even remember that there [B]was[/B] another Alan King!

Kids these days are lucky, 'cuz you're the only Alan King they will ever know!

;)
  • Ah, I am but a spry 32 years old. But my parents did name me after the more famous Alan King, which is funny in itself because my parents aren't known for their sense of humor. He was a very funny man. It never failed, on the first day of school, the teacher would get to my name in the roll and say, "Oh! Like the comedian?"