Training on Personnel Policies

Hi all,

Employees sign an acknowledgement that they are required to read, understand and adhere to the policies and that if they have questions they can ask their supervisor or administration. The Union Prez expects us to conduct training sessions on it.

Is that common? Do you conduct training on your personnel policies? If so, how extensively? Line by line? Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not go line by line with our training. When we introduced our handbook a couple of years ago I selected certain policies (harassment, breakroom usage, attendance, safety regulations) that I went through in detail with the employees and all were instructed to read the handbook before turning in their acknowledgement forms.

As you can imagine, while I received all the acknowledgement forms, not everyone read the handbook and I have even had some people tell me directly they never read the handbook. This does not mean that they are not held to the same standards as the rest of the employees.

I would tell your union president that you will go through some of the policies but not all (it would take too much time) and that it is the employees' responsibility to read the rest of the policies before turning in their acknowledgement forms.
  • When introducing a new handbook I train the management team. I use powerpoint to present it and break it down into 3-4 sessions on the different sections of the handbook. (I provide food at these.) They usually turn into Q&As that end up being very helpful. When a revised version is issued, I'd have sessions on the revisions only.

Having training sessions for the management team allows them to ask questions about policies that they don't think are quite necessary and gives HR an opportunity to provide details that you wouldn't put in the handbook itself. For example, I wouldn't include all of the reasons we had a no soliciting policy in the handbook but I did want the management team to be aware of them.

Hope this helps.

Sharon
  • That does help. Thanks to you both.
  • If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Also, be sure to let me know how your training turns out. :)