Can't Detect New Messages

I'm continually stumped by the question of how to tell if a topic has new message in it. There is a heading at the top of the Forum that shows an icon with words to the effect that the presence of this icon indicates a thread with new messages. However, that icon always appears next to the subject, even if I've read all the messages in it.

The titles seem to go to gray once I've opened them, but they stay gray whether or not there is a new message, so I don't think that's it.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here's some information from the FAQ section of the Forum that should help you mark the messages you've read and identify when new posts have been added. Please let us know if you continue to have problems or if you've got other questions. - Wendi Watts, forum moderator

How can I mark the messages I've already read?

Use the Mark button to tell the Forum that you're done reading a group of messages. To mark all the messages in one section (like Workers' Comp), go to the page that lists the Workers' Comp questions and click on the Mark button at the top of the page.

If you want to mark all of the messages in all sections of the Forum, go to the Lobby and click on the Mark button at the top of the page.

How can I read only the new messages?

When you Mark messages and return to the Forum later, there are several different ways to find the new threads (and old threads with new replies):

When you're in the Lobby , click on the Read New icon at the top of the page.

Also, when you're in the Lobby, sections with new messages will have a purple folder next to it. Sections with no new messages will have a grey folder .

When you click on a section, like HR-de-har-har, you'll see a blue icon next to new threads (and old threads with new replies). A grey icon will be next to threads containing no new replies.

• I understand that this is the way it's [i]supposed[/i] to work, but many times I have threads with purple folders next to them that do not actually contain new messages. I open a thread with a purple folder expecting to see the new messages, but instead there are just the old ones that I've already read (sometimes more than once, due to this glitch). And I'm not just talking about threads with posts that are from the previous day - today, for example, I had several threads that were marked with the purple folder indicating new messages, but when I opened the thread, the most recent message was posted on 8/23/07, and I had read those entire threads already.

It seems that this mechanism is not operating as intended.

Yet another reason I'm sad that usenet is becoming extinct...
  • Missk, me too. I just thought it had somehtng to do with the set up on this end, but I too have had folders apprear as to have new messages only to find they do not when opened. Maybe we need to let the forum moderators leave the pageant for a bit to look into this?
  • Here's another possible solution to the missing-new- post mystery! When someone, for example, posts an ADA question in the "How to Use the Forum" area, your computer will tell you there is a new post in that area. Suppose a civic-minded Forum Monitor comes along, however, and moves that post to a more appropriate area (in this case, the FMLA/ADA/Workers' Comp conference). Even though the post has moved, your "How to Use the Forum" area will still have a blue box beside it -- now incorrectly signaling a new post -- until you "Mark" it again to the contrary.

I'll check to see if there is any way we can turn off the blue signal for everyone when we move a thread, but my guess is this problem won't go away until everyone places their original post in the correct area (i.e., not anytime soon!). If I've addressed the wrong issue, please call me at (615) 661-0249 x 8068 to discuss further. We may need more details on the problem you're encountering. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC