"ALSO KNOWN AS"

I've continued to use my old signon since changing jobs, since it was already paid for. Now, I've paid for a subscription to the Mississippi Law Letter through M. Lee Smith. Along with the receipt came a new ID and password. Does this mean that I am to assume an entirely new identity, one with which it will be possible for me to totally reinvent myself on The Forum, perhaps even take on a totally different personna? Unlike Gillian2 I refuse to become Don D2.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don,

The IDs and passwords for the Subscriber Area and for Employers Forum can be the same, but they don't have to be. This may be one of those reasons why they shouldn't be.

Here's the FAQ language:

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/Employers_Forum_FAQs.html#twologins[/url]

Usually, the default ID/password scheme for a new subscriber comes out of our circulation system. The user then has the option to personalize it to something that's easier to remember. Whatever that ID/password is, it travels with the subscription - which usually stays with a company even after the individual in the job has moved elsewhere. (At least we hope your replacement at your former job remains a subscriber.)

If you also join the Forum, you choose your own ID and password. It can be different than the one you personalized, and there may be some good reasons for that. Some people use their email address or some variation on their name as their personalized password for the Subscriber Area, but they don't want to be that public on the Forum.

But if you have personalized your ID and password for the Subscribers Area and you have made it the same as your Forum ID, we'll have to undo it. That way, you can still be Don D, and the subscription at your old company will revert to whatever the default was.

I know this is probably confusing. But trust me, in reality it's much, much more complicated than this.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• (1) What if I paid for my own former subscription and don't care to have the old company bootleg off my subscription?

(2) What if I don't want anybody on the Forum to know that my new screen name is the old Don D. (It could be Hannibal L.)

(3) I don't understand what you're talking about having to 'undo'.

(4) Why does this whole procedure remind me of reading IRS regulations?

(5) Tell me in simple English what I must do in order to use the new account that I was just issued and remain the same tomorrow as I am today.

(6) Can you put that last sentence to music?
  • >(1) What if I paid for my own former subscription and don't care to
    >have the old company bootleg off my subscription?

If it's your subscription, you certainly get to keep it.
    But then, why did you end up with a new account?

>(2) What if I don't want anybody on the Forum to know that my new
    >screen name is the old Don D. (It could be Hannibal L.)

Oh, so that's [u]you[/u]...

>(3) I don't understand what you're talking about having to 'undo'.

We only have to "undo" something if you've personalized your Subscriber ID, made it the same as your Forum ID, and the account for your Subscriber ID belongs to your former company. That doesn't seem to be your situation.

>(4) Why does this whole procedure remind me of reading IRS
    >regulations?

Well, that could be because I'm a tax lawyer at heart. If that's not an oxymoron.

>(5) Tell me in simple English what I must do in order to use the new
    >account that I was just issued and remain the same tomorrow as I am
    >today.

Just log in to the Subscribers Area using your new ID and password.
    Then you can personalize it if you want to.
    If you don't, your computer will usually remember the login when you return.

Keep using the Forum exactly as you have been.

If you have any further problems, contact me offline at [email]bforrister@mleesmith.com[/email], and I'll fix it.

>(6) Can you put that last sentence to music?

You mean you can't hear it?

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Brad you and Don D "bounce off" each other wonderfully. ha
  • Why don't you pick something from the persona that you have developed on the forum - like "bottle-brush", "fried", "motorcycle", "turkey" - nah, not turkey.