The Former Bells and Whistles

Years ago, before HRHero (and M. Lee Smith Publishers) convinced me to subscribe to their service, I subscribed to a newsletter (subsequently bought out by M. Lee Smith) called the "Oregon Labor Letter." There was one feature they provided that I was wondering about; and specifically whether there were any plans to continue it. It was a "Top Ten List" in spring of each year, basically covering some of the more, uh, bizarre employment law cases for the preceding calendar year. Some of them were just hilarious and I miss that feature. How about it? Any plans to resurrect it? x:-)

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Parabeagle,
    Thanks for the suggestion. When the two newsletters were merged, we carried over a lot of the regular features. We were fortunate that Joe Beachboard, who owned and ran the Labor Letter, became the editor of California Employment Law Letter. But, sad to report, we didn't latch onto the feature that you mention (which was written by an outside party). We'll put our thinking caps on, though, and see what we can come up with. Meanwhile, if you want to read about a recent case that would probably land in most everyone's Top 10 list, log into the newsletter archives and do a search (for all states) using the word "hemorrhoids." Enough said. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • I think I'll just sit on that one.
  • Ok, I think I'm going crazy here, but how do I log on to the newletter archives. I've been looking all over the site and can't find it. Help!
  • The newsletter archive is behind the password.

On the home page, you'll see a set of links in the upper right hand corner that say "Login," "For Employment Law Letter Subscribers," and "Subscriber Login." Click any one of them. You'll have to supply your ID/password, which you should have received when you subscribed (you can call or email customer service and they can help you if you can't find it).

Once you're behind the password, the best way to explore the archive is to click on the HR Answer Engine links in the middle of the page. It'll let you search for any article from your state's newsletter, or broaden your search to include other newsletters and statutes/regulations.

You can also explore the archive by clicking on the Law Letter Index link, which generates an index of the last three years' issues.

The most recent issue is available in Adobe PDF form as well.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Sounds like that would be worth a read! Keep us posted...