Guests

I've noticed quite a few 'guests' roaming the halls of the Forum. I've also felt at times that some questions seemed to be posted by somebody who dropped by the HR Office. Can anybody with access to the web check in on the Forum?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes. The forum is open to all eyes, and you may post only after registering. We thought about making everyone register before viewing the posts, but didn't for a couple of reasons:

- We felt it would depress the number of people who participated (thus decrease the value of the forum) if you had to register without really knowing what you were signing up for. Many people are guests of the forum for a while until their comfort level rises to the point of registering to ask or answer questions.

- If registration were required, it might weed out a few people for whom the forum isn't intended, but on the other hand, if we had to approve each registrant, how do you decide whether someone who says they are an HR professional or employer or employment attorney really isn't?

Are you suggesting, Don D, that the need for privacy is important enough to require registration first? We're open to thoughts on the topic of requiring registration or leaving it like it is. After all, the forum is for those of you using it. Talk to me!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • No, not suggesting limiting access at all. I think I've noticed a few strange postings that indicated the person posing the scenario was not at all in HR. I know you can't keep that from happening though. I also worry about some of these postings that are fairly incriminating for the poster and I wonder if company officials 'throughout the land' are reading them. When I looked today for the first time at 'who's online' half of them were 'guests' and that got my attention. Maybe that's why so many 'profiles' are 'disabled'.
  • Don, your points are well taken. Anyone who posts a specific workplace scenario needs to do so in a somewhat generic manner (so that the company and the employee cannot be recognized). Anything said here could be discovered in a lawsuit or viewed by the employee. Many employees look at this website! I know that because as an editor of the Texas newletter, I can be contacted through the website for people looking for employment law help. I only seem to get directly contacted by employees who want to sue their employers. So all posters should take note that what they say on the website may end up in a court of law or be seen by the employee.

• Excellent points! Someone should also make these points elsewhere in the forum so folks will have this caution. This is actually like CB radios in the 70s and 80s. You might think your sitting up late at night chatting with some honey across town when there are 238 people listening to you and one of them is your wife's best friend.
  • I think having this forum open to everyone is a great thing. I certainly wouldn't limit access. I do think it is important for everyone to consider what they type though. These days our words matter in ways we don't always intend or appreciate.

The good side to that is that it may also be possible to use what you've posted in order to show the efforts you've made to find an equitable, reasonable, appropriate solution to a difficult and unique problem or situation. Just a thought from the half-full glass. :)
  • I too noticed that some of the postings were from non-HR folks but didn't think much of it.

I have to admit that what Don found makes me uncomfortable. I guess I assumed it was for those of us who paid to subscribe to the law letter and center. I was under the impression that I could ask for advise and get replies without having to have a decoder ring. Knowing this makes it less valuable to me.