Rotisserie Come-Back Dressing

The Rotisserie was a fine old restaurant in Jackson, ms many years ago, in the 40s, 50s and 60s, I'm told. Most old Jackson restaurants in that era were founded by and stayed within Italian or Greek families and they served the best food between New Orleans and Chicago. They, along with many other fine restaurants of that day, had what they called Come-back Sauce, or Comeback Dressing. The recipes were secret and coveted. I always likened it to souped up super Thousand Island Salad Dressing, but far better by a long shot and more versatile. This stuff is great whether you're dipping a saltine in it or pouring it over a head of lettuce.

ROTISSERIE COME-BACK DRESSING
1 button garlic, grated
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup chili sauce or ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
1 cup wesson oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 small onion, grated
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon water
Dash of Tobasco
Salt to taste
Mix or shake well or stir in a blender

Just for the fun of it, dip the tip of your finger in it and close your eyes. Hmmm hmmmm.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is a button garlic?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-02-05 AT 01:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Some refer to a clove of garlic as a button of garlic. Don't ask me why. Cause I don't know. But, since the owners of the Rotisserie were Italian immigrants, I'll take their word for it.
  • Sounds like a good one to try this weekend for a friend's graduation party. She likes new, unique recipes. I'll have some sharp cheddar slices, turkey pepperoni and celery sticks on the tray with it for dipping.
  • Maybe when you retire to Mississippi you'll find that it's quite a popular dish among the retirees. FYI Mississippi has what are termed "Official Certified Retirement Communities". The gulf coast cities and burgs are saturated with retirees who come primarily for the warm weather and gambling venues I think. It also helps that income from retirement in Mississippi is free from state tax.

I do hear that there are quite a few 'retirees' from Central America and Cuba saturating Florida, so maybe we'll see a few more genuine retiree octagenarians headed this way from some of the northern states.

By the way, although its said to be a lovely place for a brief visit, I never heard of anybody wanting to retire to New Hampshire either. x:-)
  • I guess that's good because all the traffic problems that come with hoards of leef-peepers is annoying enough!

I'll just follow our motto and "Live Free or Die" in beautiful NH for a long time to come (God willing) x:D