Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake.

My boss is a fan of Emiril. He saw this recipe being made on a recent show and decided to get it off the website. I guess the flour was an issue with the carb-conscious folks. I would think that the 8 eggs would be a concern but hey, it has chocolate so it can't be all that bad. =P~

[b]Decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake.[/b]

1 pound semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus 1/2 tablespoon
1/4 cup Kahlua
8 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar or cocoa powder, for garnish
Fresh raspberries, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Using 1/2 tablespoon butter grease a 9-inch spring form pan and line bottom with a parchment round. Cover pan underneath and along sides with foil and set in a roasting pan. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil.

Combine the chocolate, butter, and Kahlua in a metal bowl set over simmering water or in the top of a double boiler. Melt the mixture, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes; reserve.

Meanwhile combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until frothy and almost doubled in volume, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula. Repeat this process 2 more times – until all of egg mixture has been folded into chocolate mixture.

Pour batter into prepared spring form pan and place in the roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides. Bake until cake has risen slightly and edges are just beginning to set, about 25 minutes. Remove cake from roasting pan and cool on wire rack to room temperature. Remove foil, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Remove cake from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. Remove spring form pan sides, invert cake onto a large plate, and peel away parchment paper from bottom. Reinvert cake on another large plate or serving platter and garnish with confectioners' sugar or cocoa powder immediately before serving.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is yet another recipe from the Forum that I will cut and paste into my electronic recipe file. Thanks!

"I would think that the 8 eggs would be a concern but hey, it has chocolate so it can't be all that bad."

On the subject of the medicinal benefit of chocolate, I had my annual physical last week, and my primary care doc has added to his list of recommended dietary guidelines a daily one ounce square of Lindt dark chocolate. Chocolate made from at least 85% cocoa has proven benefits for blood pressure and other health issues. Google "health benefits of chocolate" and you'll find many, many references. Isn't that good news?! :DD
  • Great news! But the trick is stopping at one square ounce...oh well, I can give it a try! They just opened a Lindt store in our local mall. I think I'll pay them a visit today :-)

• I offered this to my doctor who said that it is perfectly acceptable to substitute a Hershey or Dove bar for the little square. Once a month he said it would be OK to "boost-up" with a box of Godiva peppermint patties. Then I woke-up!
  • Yes, TN, in my version of this dream it was a Butterfinger. But then I woke up and started wondering if I could get Lindt dark chocolate for a co-pay.
  • This sounds good, but a LOT of work. Think I'll just have some khalua and milk and a chocolate bar and be done with it.
  • I made this cake as my contribution to a dinner party last night. Wow! Delicious, rich, and VERY intense chocolate rush. The actual cake batter wasn't hard to make, but all the rigamarole with the pan, parchment, foil, and boiling water was quite a challenge. Good news is the burns on my arm should heal with only minor scarring.