OK, to the best of my knowledge I am the creator of this masterpiece:

-Tuscan,Pugliese or another quality Italian bread
-Extra virgin olive oil
-Tomatoes
-Fresh basil
-Garlic
-Salt
-Dried oregano
-Small can of San Marcos or equivalent quality chipotle peppers (avoid domestic labels like El Gringo's, get authentic stuff)
-Balsamic vinegar

Wash and dry the tomatoes. Chop into cubes. Finely mince/chop the basil and mix in with the tomatoes. If this gets too watery, drain a bit. Add some minced garlic, salt and a bit of oregano. Carefully mince a few (to taste) chipotles and add to mixture. Add a tiny bit of vinegar to mix. Slice the bread thickly and toast it. Take a clove of garlic and rub it on the toast. Drizzle olive oil over the toast. Spoon your mixture over it and you're done. Enjoy.

This creation doesn't totally bastardize the original, but at the same time it does add a nice kick. Don't substitute peppers. You don't just want kick. Chipotles are perfect for this because of their rich flavor. In case anyone is wondering, chipotles are actually smoked jalapenos is an adobo sauce. Yes, they pack heat (more than regular jalapenos because the smoking process releases capsicum from the seeds into the pepper) but they also have an AWESOME taste.

Gene

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd like to try this. Sounds great. But, my palate doesn't tolerate really, really hot and spicy food. Can it be toned down any? How many beers does the average slice of this bread recipe take?
  • You're hilarious, Don. Actually, that's the beauty of chipotles. You can tone down or up as much as you want without compromising flavor.

Beer fromula is as follows:

Prep before the prep: 1
    Prep time : 1
    First taste: 1

Cleansing your palate between tastings while you season will require at least one more beer.

One beer per slice while eating should suffice. Unless two or more of the guys are with you, AND it's superbowl sunday AND the Eagles are ahead, then you may drink two per slice.

Gene
  • Gene, I must say that this is a most interesting and most daring collision of Italian and Mexican cuisine. I would try it, but the release of capsicum has me hung up.
  • I have devoted myself to making this clash of cultures a culinary delight. Let's just say that we eat well at home.

My kids have adapted better than my wife x:) She's not very fond of a snack plate with chicharrones (pork skins), genoa salami and olives.

Gene

• Gene, I don't blame your wife there...except I like olives.

...but this recipe sounds like a keeper. My husband and kids like the hot stuff but I'm not so fond of it. Thanks!

Cheryl C.
  • >Gene, I don't blame your wife there...except I
    >like olives.
    >
    >...but this recipe sounds like a keeper. My
    >husband and kids like the hot stuff but I'm not
    >so fond of it. Thanks!
    >
    >Cheryl C.

I can understand. If you really like olives, try this. My Nonna and I used to make these and I would eat them till I got sick. I still make them all the time. I don't have a true recipe, you just add enough until it feels right.

Cracked Olives

-Empty glass coke bottle
    -Mason jar
    -Olive oil
    -Garlic
    -Garlic powder
    -Dried Oregano
    -Basil (fresh or dried)
    -Salt
    -Balsamic vinegar
    -Dried Parsley
    -Black olives, pit in, packed in water.

1. With the open end of the coke bottle, you "crack" the olives (sorry, it's like using anything other than a fork to pinch a pie shell, nothing else works). You're not smashing them completely, but rather giving them a little bruise and breaking the skin. It does not require a lot of force.

2. Put the olives in the mason jar. Add salt, spices, etc, etc, also add whole garlic cloves (peeled). Add two fingers' worth of vinegar, the rest olive oil to completely cover.

3. Put lid on mason jar, no need to actually can with heat. Allow to "cure" on kitchen counter for at least 3 days, preferably 5. Each night before bedtime, give it a good shake for about 3 seconds.

Open and enjoy. You can eat these alone, use them in recipes, etc. This makes an AWESOME summertime salad dressing. You have the olives and the juice is like a vinaigrette.

Gene

• This sounds great. Now where did I put those canning jars? I think my daughter has a coke bottle in her bedroom that I can 'borrow'.

I'll try this and let you know if it satisfies my olive cravings. ;-)

• I vote to keep Gene on the island!
  • Gene, maybe you can solve a mystery for me regarding the correct pronunciation of the word bruschetta. I've usually heard it pronounced with the "ch" sounding like the ch in chair. But I've also heard it pronounced like a k. So which is it?

What the heck, while I'm getting help with my Italian, I might as well ask for one more: How about pancetta? Is the c pronounced as ch or like an s? :-?

Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer in helping me not sound like a rube when ordering in a couple of the classy Italian joints I frequent.x:9
  • Great question! Bruschetta's proper pronunciation is with a hard K. 99% of the time a "ch" in Italian is pronounced with a k. The problem here is the dialect issue. You will find that because of enunciation, most southern Italians will pronounce the "ch" soft, hence the common "American" pronunciation of bruschetta.

Pancetta is definately soft c, but pronounced with an sh sound.

Gene
  • Thanks! While you're in the mood to answer Italian pronunciation questions, here's one more: Mozzarella. My former in-laws from upstate NY were not Italian (just plain old WASPs), but they pronounced it Mootzarelle.

By the way, this past weekend I was able to procure an extremely thin pizza crust and made the most wonderful margherita pizza. My BF swooned....come to think of, I should have asked for something really expensive while he was eating that meal. ;;)
  • Definately incorrect. The authentic pronunciation is exactly how everyone says it, just soften the o a little bit and don't enunciate the t as much, just let it roll.