Beverages:
Wild Turkey Select 101
Gentleman Jack Daniels Black Label
Sweet Tea, Iced
Fresh Clarke County Spring Water Just Drawn
Assorted Domestic Beer

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And the doves? Maybe I'm assuming too much here but shouldn't you eat what you shoot?

• Actually, all we shot was the sh**. It was too windy to shoot. So we opted to stand by the fire and visit all day. Anyway, what does my buddy Leviticus say about barbequeing doves wrapped in bacon? x:-)
  • leave 'em unwrapped and you'll be ok.
  • Well I'm apposed to hunting (surprise surprise) but since you didn't get to murder any defenseless doves I think this sound like a great menu and a wonderful day. Lucky you.
  • Thank goodness no shells were ever chambered! Somehow, even the NRA strongly discourages any shooting activity after drinking JD and WT.
  • Judy: At least five items on the menu that sounds wonderful contained murdered items. I'm not sure about the cheese.
  • I'm not opposed to eating meat just the hunting of the animals with guns. It's the guns I don't care for. Now if you wanted to hunt with a bow and arrow that seems fair to me. My sister is a dairy farmer in Pennsylvania and she assures me that cheese comes from live cows.
  • Hijack: Judy, if I understand your post correctly you’re saying it’s ok to kill with a bow and arrow but not with a gun? Not trying to get philosophical but what’s the difference, hunting and killing with a gun or bow and arrow, the end result is the same, dead animal and food on the table.
  • Judy, I can personally attest to the fact that I have had several more inhumane kills during archery season than rifle. Have you ever seen a deer do the jitterbug after getting stuck with an arrow?

Gene
  • You guys have it all wrong. It's ok to kill an animal in a process that makes no noise. Like those dairy cows her sister owns. Once no longer useful for milking, they are brought to the table through a relatively quiet process. Axes have no bang! Now do you see?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-19-05 AT 04:57PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Ah but Don, have you ever been in a processing plant before? Some use a 'thump gun' that stuns the animal unconscious, then they are bled out. These guns do make noise. Now if the processing takes place on the 'farm' that's a different story.

Boy, I can’t wait to get home and have some leftover meatloaf!

• I've toured many fish processing plants. State of the art. When the fish rush out of the collection truck into huge, wire, holding pens, they are stunned, altogether as a group, by two electric prods pressed into the conclave by a worker. Then they go through the plant on belts and, while alive, but totally stunned, are skinned, deboned, beheaded and fileted. Sensors in the belts then weigh the filets and paddle arms slap the filets off the belts into different areas depending on weight. Next they go immediately through quick freeze and then they go into huge plastic ziploc like bags and into waxed cardboard boxes for placement in freezer trucks. Although they are quick frozen, they are not considered hard-frozen, and are trucked to market.

Sounds pretty quiet, no shooting and no guys gathering around a tailgate to smoke cigars and count the kill at the end of the day, and supposedly pain free. And to think they actually have signs in these truck tanks telling the fish to not worry, that they are going to a picnic. They just don't tell them the rest of the story.
  • I'm just opposed to guns, I don't like them for any reason. As far as the fish story, I love fish to eat and I just don't think fish have feelings but maybe thats just me. Guns just scare the heck out of me.

In the beginning of December my sister's (in PA) neighbor and his 12 year old daughter went out hunting deer, with guns of course. The daughter was climbing into a blind? (I think thats what its called) somehow she fell and her shotgun went off killing her immediately. The father saw the whole thing, the whole family is devastated. This is just one example of why I don't like guns.

• >I'm just opposed to guns, I don't like them for
    >any reason. As far as the fish story, I love
    >fish to eat and I just don't think fish have
    >feelings but maybe thats just me. Guns just
    >scare the heck out of me.
    >
    >In the beginning of December my sister's (in PA)
    >neighbor and his 12 year old daughter went out
    >hunting deer, with guns of course. The daughter
    >was climbing into a blind? (I think thats what
    >its called) somehow she fell and her shotgun
    >went off killing her immediately. The father
    >saw the whole thing, the whole family is
    >devastated. This is just one example of why I
    >don't like guns.

And this is one example of why I don't like the gun control camp. The idea here is to blame the gun for the problem and not the person in control of the activity which caused the accident.

Anyone who has ever spent more than five minutes in any sort of event that teaches and stresses gun safety would know that:

A) You never climb ANYTHING with your gun.

B) You never chamber a round into a weapon until you're ready to fire, much less walk around with the weapon ready to fire.

C)You ALWAYS assume a weapon is loaded and treat it as such.

• Tragic of course. But I agree with Hunter. What she was climbing into more than likely was a tree stand. A blind is a duck blind, a camo area from which hunters hunt ducks. The parent should be considered culpably negligent here. The two most important rules about tree stands are, (1) never take a loaded gun up into the tree stand, and (2) always secure yourself into the tree stand with approved slings and safety devices. Falls from tree stands and rifles discharging during ascent are responsible for more hunting deaths than anything else. Responsible hunters do not take their guns with them as the ascend into a stand. They pull it up into the stand with a camo rope, or hell, a string will work. In this state a Hunter Safety course is mandatory for a license to be issued, unless you are grandfathered in like I am due to having a license for many years. The third most important rule of deer hunting is NO WHISKEY IN THE WOODS.

I understand Judy's disdain for hunting; however, let's not blame the gun manufacturer, the gun itself or the loud noise it makes, for accidents.