Ovwn

As the weather gets cooler (it was a brisk 93 degrees here today), this easy recipe will warm the cockles of your…..whatever needs warming. If you let it cook in a crockpot all day, the aroma in your house when you get home from work will be irresistible – and will mean that dinner’s already done. Sorry that the proportions and instructions aren’t very exact.

OVEN STEW

Lean stew beef
1 pkg. of dry onion soup mix
S & P
Paprika
Potatoes
Carrots
Boiling onions (or regular onions, quartered)
1 can of cream of celery soup
1/4-1/2 cup of dry sherry (cooking sherry works fine)
1/2 cup of water

Use the amounts of beef and vegetables that you want. The amount of liquid stated here will work for about 4 to 6 servings. If you make a huge batch, double the liquids.

Mix the dry onion soup mix, S&P, and paprika on a plate. Roll the cubes of stew beef in this mixture and put them in the bottom of a crock pot or coverable roasting pan or dutch oven. Add the vegetables. Mix the celery soup, water and sherry and pour over the meat and veggies. Cover. Cook in a crock pot for 6 hours on high or longer on low. Or cook in the oven at 250-300 degrees for 4 or 5 hours.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanx, Whirlwind! This is the second recipe I've collected today. I just love those one-pot recipes! I'll let you know how we like it!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-04 AT 10:12AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I don't cook with beef much. Maybe I'll substitute venison. I've been promised some from a couple friends. The recipe sounds yummy!
  • I use a variation of this recipe. But, I notice you say put the vegetables on top of the meat. All the crockpot recipes I see say to put the potatoes and carrots on the bottom since it takes them so long to get done otherwise. Whatcha think?
  • I have to admit, it takes all my culinary courage when I make this not to mix everything to achieve even distribution of all ingredients. I'm bad (or good, depending on the results) at taking major liberties with recipes, but in this case I stuck to the instructions with good results. I think lean stew meat, not being marbled with fat, can dry out pretty quickly. The meat being on the bottom sorta keeps it in the liquid while the vegetables more or less steam on top. I cut up the veggies pretty small. Anyway, what I love about this is the yummy smell. The sherry and paprika and onion soup give it just a little bit of a different kick than other stews I've tried.

Bon Apetit!