Glazed Bacon

I won't be able to compete with HRScorpio, but I've copied so many recipies, I feel compelled to post one. My mother and husband go nuts when I make this, and as mostly a plant-eater, I think it's pretty good, too. It's actually quite easy, and you can't taste the mustard at all.

Glazed Bacon
1 lb sliced bacon
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c orange juice
2 T Dijon mustard

Cover two 15x10" pans with heavy duty foil. Place racks in pans (I use one from my small roasting pan and two small, cheap cooling racks and overlap them) and spread bacon over racks. I usually cut the bacon in half for a better fit and ease of handling.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients. Remove pans from oven, drizzle half of the glaze over bacon. (If it's starting to curl, I might flip the pieces over first to try and keep them somewhat flat.) Bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove pans from oven, turn the pieces over, and drizzle with remaining glaze. Bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Place on waxed paper to set, and if you had any glaze left over, drizzle it on now. Serve warm.

It's supposed to yield about 8 servings, but I usually get about 4-6. It can be made ahead and reheated - I just put it in the microwave between sheets of waxed paper until it is hot enough. I've also seen my husband eat it cold straight from the fridge.

Note that the bacon grease and glaze that drips down WILL MAKE a burned, gooey mess in your pan, so make sure to use a jelly roll pan, or cookie sheet with sides. Plus, it will smoke a little toward the end. Check it to make sure it isn't your bacon, but don't panic. I put the racks in hot, soapy water as soon as I pull the bacon off, and cleanup isn't too bad. The recipe didn't suggest lining the pans and let me tell you, it was a mess.

Enjoy!

Comments