The REAL Coca-Cola cake

Anne - This may not be the exact recipe you are looking for but I got this from my mother. She used to make it many moons ago.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup Coca Cola
2 egg yolks
1 complete egg

Preheat to 350 - Grease and flour 2 9-inch pans
Sift together the flour, soda, salt, sugar and cocoa. At low speed add the shortening, buttermilk and Coca Cola and mix for 2 minutes.

Add the egg and egg yolks and beat for 2 more minutes. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or
"until the broom straw is clean" HUH??? Honestly that is what she has written.

Cool before frosting.

FROSTING

2 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup Karo syrup
1/3 cup Coca Cola
1 teaspoon Vanilla -use the real thing
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups Convectioner's sugar

Combine all ingredients in top of a double boiler over rapidly boiling water beating continuously until mixture stands in a peak. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of Rice Krispies or your choice of nuts until thick enough for spreading, then spread with a warm moist knife.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thank you so much! That sounds like that might be it - or a good rendition, anyway. I'll cook one up this weekend and let you know how it goes. I'm a litle afraid of the double-boiler, but I'll give it a try.

I think the broom straw thing has been translated through the years to mean - until a toothpick comes out clean! Goodness knows you wouldn't want to use a broom straw that came from my house!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC