Mexican Chicken

1 serving olive oil cooking spray ( 5-1second sprays)
2 pound uncooked chicken breast, skinless-boneless
30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups fat-free sour cream
2 cups shredde dreduced-fat monterey jack cheese, or mexican-style cheese blend
8 oz chopped green chilies (two 4oz cans)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
12 medium corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup salsa, mild, medium or hot to your preference

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes; drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.
3. Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup shredded cheese, chilies, cumin and pepper; mix well and set aside.
4. Arrange half of the tortillas in bottom of prepared lasagna pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top torillas with half of chicken mixture, layer with remaining tortillas and then top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.
5. Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've read this recipe somewhere before and it sounded just as good then. I think I'll try it tonight with the in-laws and out-laws coming over for dinner...Thanks!
    Cheryl C.
  • I made the recipe Wednesday night and it was a hit!!! I made one or two minor changes out of necessity. Don D would yell at me for this but...

I used one can of ROTEL diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained) instead of the 2 can's of green chilies.

I couldn't find corn tortillas so I used the flour tortillas and it was good. I'll bet it'll taste better with the corn ones though.

Oh, and I didn't use the fat-free sour cream, I broke down and used the real stuff.

Thanks again for sharing. My husband loved it!!
    Cheryl C.