Egg Fu Yung

Once you make these, you will never order them at a restaurant again. They’re great for breakfast.

Egg Fu Yung
1 c Meat, fish, crustacean (or tofu) of choice (I usually marinate for about a half hour in a light mixture of soy and ginger)
1 c Fresh bean sprouts
1/2 c Celery, thinly sliced
1/2 c Green onions chopped fine
1/2 c Mushrooms sliced into strips (sometimes I use all mushrooms instead of meat)
6 Eggs
Salt & white pepper to taste

(Substitute or add vegies as you will: green beans, bok choy, carrots, etc., all diced, chopped or thinly sliced.)

Sauce:
1 c Chicken or beef broth (I prefer chicken all the time, it’s lighter. I guess you can use vegetable broth though I never have)
1 T Soy sauce
2 t Chinese rice wine, dry sherry or vinegar
2 t Sugar
1T Corn starch
2T Water

(Most of the time I double the sauce because somehow or other I always get carried away making the patties and they multiply on me.)

Meat can be precooked or quickly stir fried. Other items usually cook enough in the frying.

Combine first six ingredients except eggs and mix thoroughly. Add eggs to mixture and blend. Heat enough oil to lightly cover bottom of wok (or small bottomed fry pan) over medium high heat. Scoop approximately 1/3 cup of mixture and pour into wok. Fry until brown on both sides turning only once.

Heat liquid for sauce in small saucepan. Mix soy, wine, sugar, corn starch and water until smooth. Add to broth, and cook stirring until thickened and bubbly. It should be thinner than regular gravy.

Pour over patties and serve hot.