July 4th

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July holiday. God bless America!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks, DMK. Hope you and yours have a safe holiday.

Here is a link to a website with some interesting information about the holiday. Enjoy!

[url]http://www.holidays.net/independence/index.htm[/url]
  • The fourth is also our youngest daughter's 5th birthday! Woo hoo!

Here we are last year watching our local parade before her party.

[url]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/234502269_fb0c1a63b8.jpg?v=0[/url]

• Festive, Paul!

I have no plans for tomorrow. None. This is depressing. My kids are still with my parents, my friends are busy with family stuff. Or maybe they just didn't want to invite me. 8-| Call me Debbie Downer.

I think maybe I will just take myself to a movie. Should have a choice of good seats.
  • Sorry Q. I hope you found a way to enjoy your holiday.

We had a pretty nice weekend. Had the little birthday party at lunch with presents and then put the smaller kids to nap so they could stay up for fireworks.

I splurged a bit and bought a few more fireworks than I planned on but I figured it was kind of a special occassion. I chuckled at the fireworks stand's "NO DUDS" guarantee. I asked them about and they said I could bring back any fireworks on the 4th that didnt light but they wouldnt be there on the 5th. Yeah.. cause we all enjoy those mid afternoon fireworks.

Still the fireworks were pretty cool. since we were up in Washington we could buy and set off the cool kind that shoot up in the air and nearly set your house on fire. My personal favorite was the paratrooper that shot up about 80 feet and then exploded again followed by a tiny paratrooper gliding gently down.

Later we went over to a huge community bbq. This community was devastated by flooding last december. Several homes had 10-12 feet of mud and water in them. So it was a pretty special time to be there with everyone.

THey read from the declaration of independence and sung God Bless America and the national anthem. Following that, they had a very professional fireworks show. Afterwards we took some pretty tired kids back home.

Hope you all had a blessed weekend.
  • Sounds wonderful.

I'm afraid we spent most of the day catching up on yard work. We normally buy and do a few fireworks, but we just weren't up to it this year. It has been a busy year.

However, we did go out and watch plenty once it got dark. Our laws allow lots of different kinds of fireworks too, and you could see many from blocks away. Someone was busy setting off really loud bangs that scared my dog to death, and they did it for days. It even made us jump quite a few times while we were doing yard work. I read in the paper that some guy on the other side of town ended up shooting a shotgun at some people because the fireworks they were doing made him mad. I couldn't help wondering if they were like our loud neighbors. I usually don't sympathize with people who pull guns on others, but I almost could in this case.

This year we didn't have anyone seriously hurt from fireworks, so that is a blessing. Some idiot shot off his gun in the air and the bullet came down and injured the leg of a 40 year old woman, but that was the worst that happened. Most importantly, no children were injured seriously.

On the other hand, many many people got together with friends and family and celebrated our country's birthday. The weather was good, and lots of people had fun swimming, boating, and picnicing. I love the 4th, and expect we will be joining others with our fireworks next year.

BTW, the link for the history of the 4th was great. I made a point to show it to my hubby this weekend. I thought I had read the Declaration of Independence before, but this time there were quite a few new bits (insults) that I didn't remember. It really makes you realize just how far those men went to make us a free country.

Ok. I'll stop rambling now.

God bless America!
  • We had a good 4th, even though our weather didn't cooperate and it rained all day. That's okay....we went to the parade and got rained on, had the extended family over and grilled burgers on the deck in the rain, and went over to a friend's house later in the rain. The only thing we drew the line at was going out to watch the big fireworks show in the rain.

We had some nincompoops in our neighborhood who were shooting off their own fireworks until about 1 a.m. so I wasn't thrilled about that. Fireworks are illegal here but that doesn't stop people. The only saving grace was the fact that, because it had rained all day the trees and houses were so wet that the danger of them catching anything on fire while shooting off their illegal fireworks was at least somewhat reduced.