"Why do you want references?"

"Do I have to dress for the next interview?"

"I know this is off the subject, but will you marry me?"

"Will the company move my rock collection from California to Maryland?"

"Will the company pay to relocate my horse?"

"Does your health insurance cover pets?"

"Would it be a problem if I'm angry most of the time?"

"Does your company have a policy regarding concealed weapons?"

Obviously, this list includes a question used by Frank when he interviewed for his current job.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And from the applicant after receiving a positive drug test for marijuana:

It's been about a month since I smoked any; I waited to apply. If I go back and test negative now can I still have the job?

Where do these people come from?
  • Did I ever mention about the time I interviewed the stripper?
  • I had this classic exchange Wednesday...

Me: What uncommon strengths would you bring to the team?
    Applicant: I've done business here, and you need smarter people. I'm smarter.
    Me: Well, we haven't tested your intelligence yet, but I'll make a note that your self-absorption scores are off the charts.
    Applicant: Excellent.
  • One of the past largest employers in this area is now just a shell of its former self. Some of the local electronics manufacturers began as suppliers to this giant. We called them the Big House. Many of their ee's perceived themselves as better and smarter than everyone else, we were mere serfs. Now I interview them. One guy came in and obviously considered himself to be more god-like than us mere mortals. He pointedly told me he would come in and fix all of our problems and turn this into a real company. I was incredulous. He was laid off from his previous billion dollar employer who was in a tailspin and just barely survived, and we were growing and hiring. Needless to say, he wasn't hired.
  • I had a guy tell me (and I quote) that "your staff will be really blessed to be around me."
  • My best interviewing story is about the Sales Director candidate who looked me right in the eye and seriously said, "One of my testicles is as big as an orange." To my credit, I did not break into laughter, and I responded, "Why are you telling me this?" He explained that he had recently had surgery and was very uncomfortable. I asked if he would be more comfortable standing throughout the interview and so he interviewed standing.
  • He should try interviewing without pants. It helps when you have the condition sometimes referred to as "Sunkist Testes".
  • MNHR, I think your response was the best possible response - good for you for keeping a straight face! I think I would have just sat there, stunned for a minute or two, or maybe ten. Then would say "OK" and finish that danged interview quicker than you can say "Sunkist Testes."

Years ago, I was interviewing a woman for a breakfast cook position. I don't recall what I asked her, but she began to rattle off all the ways she can cook chicken. "I can bake chicken, fry chicken, boil chicken, grill chicken, etc etc etc etc etc." It was very reminiscent of "Bubba" from Forrest Gump. She then reached back and gave her rear end a good scratching.

• That's a powerful visual, Q. Have you ever considered entering the field of HR fiction?

I can practically hear the sound of fingernails on polyester.
  • Aaahhhhh, but the truth is far more interesting than fiction. I can't make this stuff up.

The cooks worked in full view of the guests. I thought perhaps the guests might be offended by the scratching. Didn't hire her. Plus, we didn't serve chicken for breakfast. Her skills didn't suit our needs. x;-)
  • I think I've mentioned it here before, but one of the very first interviews I conducted involved a woman who first apologized for having to bring her infant to the interview, then proceeded to yank her shirt up halfway through the interview so the tot could have a morning snack.

At this point, I'm ready for ANYTHING.
  • One of our supervisors once told me about an applicant that she interviewed who not only brought her children to the interview - 3 or 4 kids, if I remember correctly - but one of the first things out of her mouth was that she'd just gotten out of jail after serving time for attempted murder.
  • Doesn't sound like she really wanted the job.
  • It used to be a requirement in Missouri that you had to get the interviewer to sign off on a card so you could continue to receive unemployment... 3 signatures a week, I think. (Dutch would know, since he is so much older than I am. hehe)

Anyway, we used to get all sorts of garbage until that requirement was lifted. I had one guy pick up an application and tell me he wasn't filling it out, I was going to sign his card, and if I didn't he would kick my @55. I told him I wasn't signing it and he left after he kicked a huge honkin' dent in the metal trash can.
  • Same in NY. I remember one poor guy, when I offered him a job, he about died. The look on his face. He wasn't sure how to respond. I think he never showed up the first day.
  • >Doesn't sound like she really wanted the job.

Well, whether or not she really wanted it, she sure didn't get it! It's hard to tell sometimes, though. We do get some applicants who only apply so they can tell the unemployment office that they'd applied for work that week but we also get a lot of people coming in who really are totally clueless about what's okay and what's not for an interview, and who seem completely surprised when they find out they didn't get the job.

Some of my favorites (besides the ex-con mother):

Applicant comes in dressed in a business suit, trying to look very professional, however, from the rumpled state of the suit and the fact that she reeked of alcohol, she'd apparently put the suit on before going on a several-day bender.

Applicant comes in for her interview and immediately pulls a toy out of her purse and starts chattering away about how cute it is, etc. before the flabbergasted interviewer can even ask the first question. This applicant came back and applied for every job we advertised for about a 2-year period (and by all accounts, acted just as strange each time).

Applicant comes in with so many facial piercings, she looks like she fell face-first into a fishing tackle box. The interviewer explains that the facial piercings are not allowed per our dress code so, if by some chance the person were to be hired, she'd have to remove the hardware during working hours. Applicant leaves in a huff because she's being "discriminated against" because of her appearance.

• I hope you yelled down the hallway as she left "You BET WE ARE!!!"

What is starting to frustrate me are people who apply at multiple employers and give the impression they are very serious about the job. Then once hired, they announce they have made other plans.

You begin understanding why airlines overbook their flights...
  • Okay, you have had some really odd applicants.

I had a couple of strange ones also

One man brought his mother to the interview that proceeded to tell us , I brought my mother, she does all the talking for me. (you had to wonder is his mother coming to work with him every day?) He wasn't hired!

Than we had the fellow in the lilac shirt...very sharp dressed looking .....half way through the interview in a soft feminine voice....ohhh this interview is so intense...I think I might faint..do you mind if I get some air..he walked out of the room.
    He wasn't hired either!

Shirley